Being taught in schools (North America or other)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Schools in this area have stopped with the various shop classes, sewing, etc…

Sadly the focus seems to be on college prep.

We do have some limited programs for technical skills like carpentry, food service, information technology, dental assistant through a program called BOCES.

IMO age appropriate life skills, financial management, health, relationships, sex education, etc… should be a mandatory part of the curriculum to provide a more balanced and well rounded education in the same way that sports, art, music, and physical education are.

Kids should know that they can earn a solid middle class living without a traditional university education. There are still many valuable and affordable technical education and apprenticeship programs available.

I was just wondering... do they teach "life skills" in schools anymore? any schools, any where?

Um, did they ever?

Here in Texas, they taught home-economics to girls in high school back in the 70s, when I was in high school. Other than that, high school was all about the "three Rs," plus the most important thing, the big F -- football.

In my city of Frisco, Texas, they do put more emphasis on learning things then they did in my high school back in the day, but our high school football teams play in a 12,000 seat, INDOOR football stadium. That sets me back about $4,000 a year in school district property taxes.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

CD

Schools in this area have stopped with the various shop classes, sewing, etc…

Sadly the focus seems to be on college prep.

We do have some limited programs for technical skills like carpentry, food service, information technology, dental assistant through a program called BOCES.

IMO age appropriate life skills, financial management, health, relationships, sex education, etc… should be a mandatory part of the curriculum to provide a more balanced and well rounded education in the same way that sports, art, music, and physical education are.

Kids should know that they can earn a solid middle class living without a traditional university education. There are still many valuable and affordable technical education and apprenticeship programs available.

One very positive thing I can say about education here in Frisco, is that we have an excellent community college, Collin College. It only costs me about 300 bucks a year in property taxes, but provides HS grads a reasonably priced opportunity to learn something that will get them a good job.

CD

Um, did they ever?

Here in Texas, they taught home-economics to girls in high school back in the 70s, when I was in high school. Other than that, high school was all about the "three Rs," plus the most important thing, the big F -- football.
Education has changed a lot in the past 40 years.

Education has changed a lot in the past 40 years.

Well... not that much here in Texas. Being the starting quarterback in most of the state is still more valued than being Valedictorian.

I live in Collin County, Texas. Frisco paid 60-million on its indoor stadium. The towns next to Frisco, McKinney and Allen, both in Collin County, matched or surpassed Frisco. Allen tied Frisco at 60-million, McKinney spent 70-million. Another town in Collin County, Melissa (population 14,000) spent 35 million on their new stadium.

There are bunch of HS football stadiums in Texas that cost more than 50-million bucks.

But, Texas also excels in another statistic, Child Poverty, which is 20-percent. WooHoo!!! Your state of Virginia is an underachiever in that stat -- you only have a measly 13-percent child poverty rate. Mississippi is the champ, with a child poverty rate of 28 percent. I bet they have some really nice HS football stadiums.

CD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom