"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 10-17-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
Executive Chef

A Cypriot treat - almond and semolina pudding

I know this is a recipe common amongst many of the Greek islands (and I've also eaten similar very sweet puddings in Turkey, Egypt and Lebanon) - but this is the version that is popular in Cyprus.

4 oz butter
4 oz caster sugar
grated rind of one lemon
3 eggs
8 oz semolina
4 oz plain flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
100 mls milk
2 oz finely chopped, toasted almonds
Blanched, split almonds for decorating top of pudding

Syrup
500mls caster sugar
600 mls water
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Make the syrup by dissolving the sugar in the water over a low heat, add lemon juice and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for about 10 mins then leave to cool.

Cream the butter, sugar and lemon rind until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat in well.

Fold in the flour, semolina and baking poweder alternatively with the milk. Stir in the chopped nuts.

Spread the mix in a buttered baking tray 7 x 11 inch). Arrange split almonds in rows on the top. Bake in a moderate oven for 50 minutes until the cake is golden and shrinks slightly fromsides of tin.

When the cake is cooked, pour the cooled syrup over the hot cake. It will penetrate better if you prick with a fine skewer before pouring!

Leave in tin until cool, then cut into diamond shapes.

This is very, very moist and very sweet - but an ideal accompaniment to a 'Greek Coffee'!

Old 10-17-2006, 10:59 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Ishbel, this sweet and tempting dessert is called 'Ravani' in Greek. It goes very well with coffee or tea. However, you did not indicate the amount of semolina in the recipe.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Whoops, sorry - I've edited the recipe!

In the village where my friends live, it is called Kaloprama - which I think is Greek for 'good thing'....
Old 10-19-2006, 05:12 AM   #4
Sous Chef

And "kalo prama" it IS!!

I like to add plenty of long strands of lemon peel into the syrup and a bit more than 2 tablespoons (I think) of lemon juice. Either way, point is -- lemony is particularly nice!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:10 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Me too. I like the syrup to have a more lemony taste to take away the sweetness.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:46 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I am planning on making this today or tomorrow, depends how the potato canning goes, so thanks for the extra lemon suggestions. I may also add one drop of lemon oil!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:59 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Believe it or not it has been at least 15 years since I've tasted this - although I make it regularly.... I am unable to eat sweet things, and find the over-sweetness of many of the favourite Greek puddings were just too much for my tastebuds, even when I was a young child!

I'll certainly try putting a little more lemon in the syrup - and thanks for the lemon peel suggestion, Ayrton. Thanks also for the correction to my 'Greek' - I spell it phonetically from how my friends pronounce it... I thought it was all one word! And I suspect that the Cypriot accent is as noticeable to a mainland Greek as a Glasgow accent would be to natives of Edinburgh!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:45 AM   #8
Head Chef

Mmmmmm. Lovely. I am NOT going to make it soon but it is cut and paste. I love the idea of adding a drop of lemon oil and the strands of lemon in it. I wish I did not have a sweet tooth. I can eat all these wonderful things!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Believe it or not it has been at least 15 years since I've tasted this - although I make it regularly.... I am unable to eat sweet things, and find the over-sweetness of many of the favourite Greek puddings were just too much for my tastebuds, even when I was a young child!

I'll certainly try putting a little more lemon in the syrup - and thanks for the lemon peel suggestion, Ayrton. Thanks also for the correction to my 'Greek' - I spell it phonetically from how my friends pronounce it... I thought it was all one word! And I suspect that the Cypriot accent is as noticeable to a mainland Greek as a Glasgow accent would be to natives of Edinburgh!
I agree -- so many Greek sweets are too sweet, but despite the fact that ravani is soaked with a fairly heavy sugar syrup, the end result doesn't strike me as too sweet. Perhaps it is the lemon.

Didn't really mean my two-word version as a correction which I'd fear would be offensive. However, since I know the words as two, typing them that way just came out!

Do make this yummy dessert y'all -- both the texture and flavor are divine (by the way, I usually mix about half/half the coarse and the fine semolina).
Old 10-19-2006, 10:37 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
Mmmmmm. Lovely. I am NOT going to make it soon but it is cut and paste. I love the idea of adding a drop of lemon oil and the strands of lemon in it. I wish I did not have a sweet tooth. I can eat all these wonderful things!
You're not going to make it soon? Are you trying to convince us of that fact, Lulu, or yourself?!

Eh, go on ...

Tags
None