An interesting tofu dessert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haggis

Sous Chef
Made this awhile ago, it was different but certainly in no ways bad. No cooking required apart from caramelising the sugar if you want to form a toffee on the top of it creme brulee style.

1 mango, cut into cubes
juice from 1/2 lime
250g silken tofu
170g tinned passionfruit in syrup
1 to 2 tbsp coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut essence
1 tbsp rice syrup (can substiture honey for this)
150g blueberries
2 tbsp grated palm sugar (optional)

In a food processor, blend all ingredients except berries and sugar. Divide blueberries into heatproof dishes then spoon over the tofu filling. Cover with plastic wrap and chill well for at least 2 hours before serving.

To serve, spinkle the top of each dish with palm sugar and grill on high for 1 minute until palm sugar has caramelised.

This one sure rings my bell, Haggis! It sounds wonderful!

I really like the idea of serving it bruleed!

This is much like the tofu smoothies I make at home. But to use it as a smooth dessert, custard style, topped with the caramelized sugar, that's just a stroke of genius. My hat's off to you, Haggis.

I have to think that the addition of plain yougurt would be good with this also. And most fruits go well with the tofu, and carrots add a beutiful color.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I can't take credit for this, I am just the messenger :).

When I had it I believe the tofu "custard" was perhaps too sweet (nothing to do with the toffee on top) but that was because I substituted honey for the rice syrup and may have gone a little heavy handed. Perhaps honey is sweeter than rice syrup? I have no idea.

tofu

while tofu is healthier than whole or condensed milk, it often has a grainy texture which is very offputting. still, if the texture is ordinary, then this dessert has much less fat than one using cream.

Back
Top Bottom