"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 10-20-2004, 09:07 AM   #11
Senior Cook

thanx for all the input folks. like i said, this is just something i want to do because i can. the kids can't wait.

my wife's grandmother used to boil pumpkins but they were just shy of flavorless. she also used jack o lantern pumpkins...kinda stringy. she also used a hand-held potato masher instead of a blender/processor to puree it...but she did it.

this is going to be fun. i plan on using the recipes you folks sent and i'll make the customary pies and my own recipe for pumpkin creme brulee.

it has occured to me that this is kinda like sweet potatoes. it's much better to bake them than boil them for mashing. when you boil sweet potatoes you never get all the water out and they wind up water. i think pumpkin is much the same.

Old 10-20-2004, 09:25 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I do it pilgrim style every year, peel the sugar pumkin, cut into wedges and boil in a little water till soft, then mash it up. Use as recipe instructs.

Tags
None