Anyone have a recipe of Panchoa/Penuche

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runninduo

Senior Cook
After making some yummy chocolate fudge last night, I decided to try my hand at Penuche (which is my favorite). There are so many recipes out there, my head is spinning. A tried and true recipe would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Laur

p.s. I'm gonna spoil my husband's "team" at work. I've been baking a lot and I keep about 1/4 of it here and send the rest with him to work.

To make one pound of Penuche: 2 cups firmly packed brown or maple sugar; 6 fl. oz. whole milk; 1/2 oz butter; 1 tsp vanilla extract; 1¾ cups chopped nuts.

Boil sugar & milk to soft-ball stage (236° F.); remove from heat; add butter, vanilla, and nuts. Cool to lukewarm. Beat till creamy & thickened; press into an oiled pan; when firm, cut into squares.

penuche is a type of brown sugar "fudge". no chocolate. it's divine.

when you beat the cooled mixture, do you use a hand mixer? a stand mixer? or just do it by hand?

thanks.

when you beat the cooled mixture, do you use a hand mixer? a stand mixer? or just do it by hand?

It would be advantageous to use a hand-held electric mixer.

As an icing, Penuche is sometimes used on Devil's Food Cake.

Thanks. What sort of consistency am I looking for? Or how long should I beat it? Don't want to over do it.

I actually just whipped up a batch and actually beat it by hand (my poor little arm is tired now.....lol). It looks like it's setting up ok, but we'll see in a little bit.

Thanks, and sorry for so many questions!

Back
Top Bottom