Anyone make their own ice cream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are welcome here. I have a guest room. If you can arrange to come for the 2nd Wednesday of the month, I will bring you to the Danish Club luncheon.

Careful, Taxy, I might take you up on that! I also have a veritable plethora of vanilla beans!

Yesterday I made chocolate ice cream. I got to eat it today. It didn't freeze properly in the machine. I'll have to leave the freezing bowl in the freezer bowl longer next time. I followed the directions and it didn't make any sloshing sounds when I shook it, so it should have been ready. Okay, maybe I need to shake harder. What can you expect from directions that tell you to put the bowl in a plastic bag so it won't get freezer burned. :ermm: I do put it in a plastic bag. That way nothing will fall into it in the freezer and it will stay clean.

I will also put the mixed cream and stuff in the fridge for a few hours before trying to make it into ice cream. I think the cocoa needs more time to hydrate properly. It still tasted danged good.

Yesterday I made chocolate ice cream. I got to eat it today. It didn't freeze properly in the machine. I'll have to leave the freezing bowl in the freezer bowl longer next time. I followed the directions and it didn't make any sloshing sounds when I shook it, so it should have been ready. Okay, maybe I need to shake harder. What can you expect from directions that tell you to put the bowl in a plastic bag so it won't get freezer burned. :ermm: I do put it in a plastic bag. That way nothing will fall into it in the freezer and it will stay clean.

I will also put the mixed cream and stuff in the fridge for a few hours before trying to make it into ice cream. I think the cocoa needs more time to hydrate properly. It still tasted danged good.

I keep the bowl in the freezer all the time. But it should be in for 24 hours. The ice cream mix should be as cold as possible without freezing. This aids in less crystallization. Also, after processing in the ice cream machine. you should scoop it into a storage container and freeze it for 2-3 hours. It's never ice cream thick out of the machine.

I keep the bowl in the freezer all the time. But it should be in for 24 hours. The ice cream mix should be as cold as possible without freezing. This aids in less crystallization. Also, after processing in the ice cream machine. you should scoop it into a storage container and freeze it for 2-3 hours. It's never ice cream thick out of the machine.

Absolutely +1

Also, gelatin and starch can both be used to insure the ice crystals remain tiny enough to give you a very smooth and creamy ice cream. I use gelatin, as starch just increases my carb intake.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yes - I make ice cream from scratch the old fashioned way, i.e. without the gadget! Just involves stirring it halfway through...simple!

I have great recipes too e.g. pinacolada, rum and raisin, strawberry semifreddo, amaretti (with sherry).

Thanks for the tips guys. The instruction book said to put the bowl in the freezer for 6 -22 hours, depending on how cold your freezer is. My chest freezer is at -25°C (-13°F). I checked afterwards. I am leaving the freezing bowl in all the time, but I made vanilla ice cream the day before.

I did put it in a plastic container and then into the freezer. I stirred it a couple of times and didn't have an ice crystal issue.

If one uses gelatin, how and when does it go in with the other ingredients?

As per suggestions in this thread, I followed the recipes in the instruction booklet exactly.

Creative, would you mind posting or linking to one or more of those recipes?

Creative, would you mind posting or linking to one or more of those recipes?
Yes of course! You do realise they are standard recipes, i.e. not with a gadget in mind but if you know how to adapt them, then all well and good.

Looking at my recipe books, it is Macaroon Icecream (with sherry) - not amaretti, as I originally mentioned - but a cheat's way, i.e. folded into vanilla icecream.

I have a good one with Coffee & Rum (with egg whites and double cream) a Mascarpone & Strawberry Semi Freddo, a Rum, Raisin & Maple Syrup one (with eggs and double cream) - the Pinacolada one uses whipping cream and natural yogurt.

Which ones appeal to you?

Last edited:
Absolutely +1

Also, gelatin and starch can both be used to insure the ice crystals remain tiny enough to give you a very smooth and creamy ice cream. I use gelatin, as starch just increases my carb intake.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This is great that you have found a way to elimate
the ice crystals.
What kind of gelatin and how much?

Thanks
Josie

This is great that you have found a way to elimate
the ice crystals.
What kind of gelatin and how much?

Thanks
Josie

I use knox unflavored gelatin, and stir it into the lightly simmering base to dissolve it before adding the tempered egg yolks. For the recipe I use, I add two packets of gelatin.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don't have an icecream maker and find ice crystals are easily eliminated (a) by sufficient stirring, e.g. at mid stage and later and/or (b) by having a high cream content and lower milk content, or no milk content.

dried milk powder also works well. You can achieve a creamier result because the milk powder will absorb a lot of the water that is in the mixture. If you use too much cream it can feel greasy, but the way to make it smooth and creamy is reducing the water content.

dried milk powder also works well. You can achieve a creamier result because the milk powder will absorb a lot of the water that is in the mixture. If you use too much cream it can feel greasy, but the way to make it smooth and creamy is reducing the water content.

Bakechef, I will try your method also.

Thanks Josie

I caught some radio blurb cook show mention... "Homemade ice cream in the 21st century...coming up." I thought that was kinda funny.
Let's hope it didn't mean coming up as in puking up! :ohmy: :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom