Apple recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wasabi Woman, does the apple butter need to be kept chilled? And how long does it last. I was thinking about making this for my mom's birthday present, but it would have to be shipped to her.

SierraCook said:
Today, as I walked by all the apples on the ground at the ranger station I thought of this recipe and this topic. I may have to pick some of the apples and make this pie for my coworkers this week.

Dutch Apple Pie

2 cups flour
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup oatmeal
¾ cup melted butter
2 cups diced apples
1 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine flour, brown sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, oatmeal and melted butter to make crust. Reserve 1 cup of crust for topping. Press crust into pie dish. Cover crust with apples. Add water to sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to boil. Dissolve cornstarch and ¼ teaspoon of salt in a little water. Stir into boiling mixture and cook until thickened. Stir in vanilla. Pour custard over apples. Sprinkle with the reserved pie crust. Bake at 350º for 55 minutes.

SC, just wanted to let you know that I have this in the oven right now. It smells heavenly!! Thanks!:)

Crewsk, it is one of my favorite pies. In fact, I was thinking of making it also this weekend. One my coworkers bought me lunch the other day and I want to make him something as a thank you, so I am going to make this pie.

for an entree with apples, i recently posted a recipe under the meats thread for pork tenderloin with apples and onions, with a link, and my tweaks. it was so good, i just got the order to pick up another tenderloin to make it again this week. it is simple, quick, and delicious.

Last edited:
In the Kitchen said:
Sorry to bother all of you but does anyone have recipe for Apple Crisp w/ Oatmeal on top with pecans? I didn't see in any of recipes posted. Thanks

Again I am late, but when I make apple crisp with my special ed students, I use 2 or 3 packets of maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal and cut in enough butter to make crumbs. We use a hand crank thing that peels, slices, and cores the apples. Because of allergies etc. we can't put nuts in it, but pecans would certainly be a nice addition.

crewsk said:
SC, just wanted to let you know that I have this in the oven right now. It smells heavenly!! Thanks!:)
crewsk, I found this recipe and you had made it. sounds so good. Do you know if this would be ok to freeze?

Back
Top Bottom