"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I concluded the same thing decades ago in my nutritional studies. On the molecular level, the human body can not tell the source of glucose, can't tell if it came from molasses, honey, turbinado sugar, maple syrup....glucose is glucose. And since it was tricker to bake with honey than sugar and white granulated sugar is cheaper than honey, I exclusively use sugar for all needs.
+1. Except that since we have beehives, I have lots of "free" honey I'm still working on ways to use more of it, since we have a gallon or so left from last year, plus five from this year (plus whatever is in the second hive that we haven't harvested yet). Family will be getting honey and preserves made with honey for Christmas this year.
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,127
What the hell - I'm nearly 70 and my days are probably numbered so I'll eat honey AND sugar when I fancy it.

My maternal grandmother liked a teaspoonful of honey in her first cup of tea in the morning but I draw the line at that although I do like honey, lemon juice and hot water (sometimes with a slug of rum) when I have a very bad cold and sore throat. It probably doesn't cure the cold but it makes me feel better.

Our Fire Brigade station backs on to a small park with plenty of flowers and tree blossoms and the firemen have had beehives for several years. Their honey is sold in local shops in aid of a charity and it is out of this world. Mass-produced supermarket honey has nothing on the firemen's.
__________________

__________________
Dont look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:08 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 12,209
Mad Cook, I think most non-commercial honeys are well above anything that is store-bought at the standard grocery, each of them in their own way. I can attest that GG's honey is divine! So was the honey we bought from a small beekeeper in central FL. I hope we can find her house next time we're down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
...we have a gallon or so left from last year, plus five from this year (plus whatever is in the second hive that we haven't harvested yet)...
I know how to find your house, and I wish we were headed down your way. I'd be happy to exchange some of your honey for a few of my homemade baked goods like scones or banana nut bread. Maybe next spring...
__________________
Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants. ~ Michael Pollan
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

I know how to find your house, and I wish we were headed down your way. I'd be happy to exchange some of your honey for a few of my homemade baked goods like scones or banana nut bread. Maybe next spring...
If I'm not mistaken, you each can easily drop off honey or baked goods in MO on your way to see each other..
Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #15
Certifiable Executive Chef
 
Janet H's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
+1. Except that since we have beehives, I have lots of "free" honey I'm still working on ways to use more of it, since we have a gallon or so left from last year, plus five from this year (plus whatever is in the second hive that we haven't harvested yet). Family will be getting honey and preserves made with honey for Christmas this year.
Take a look at this article... it has more concrete helps for swapping honey for sugar and some good tips to deal with the liquid imbalance in a recipe where you do this..

http://blog.beeraw.com/baking-with-h...tute-for-sugar

You are lucky to have honey available to you - I buy honey from local bee keepers and it's expensive ;)

I think the added flavor and nutritional benefits are worth the expense but wish it weren't so dang spendy.
__________________
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Take a look at this article... it has more concrete helps for swapping honey for sugar and some good tips to deal with the liquid imbalance in a recipe where you do this..

Baking with Honey: Substitute Honey for Sugar with 7 Simple Rules

You are lucky to have honey available to you - I buy honey from local bee keepers and it's expensive ;)

I think the added flavor and nutritional benefits are worth the expense but wish it weren't so dang spendy.
Thanks, Janet. I just reformatted it for printing and will add it to my baking binder. I made pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving with honey instead of sugar last year and it was OUTSTANDING. So good.

I know what you mean about the expense. I love it and used to buy it and use it very sparingly till DH decided he wanted to start a couple of hives. It's weird to have more than I know what to do with
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Thanks, Janet. I just reformatted it for printing and will add it to my baking binder. I made pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving with honey instead of sugar last year and it was OUTSTANDING. So good.

I know what you mean about the expense. I love it and used to buy it and use it very sparingly till DH decided he wanted to start a couple of hives. It's weird to have more than I know what to do with
I just looked at the prices on that site... WOW! $22 for less than a pound! Around here, beekeepers are selling honey for $15-16/lb. Crazy.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #18
Certifiable Executive Chef
 
Janet H's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I just looked at the prices on that site... WOW! $22 for less than a pound! Around here, beekeepers are selling honey for $15-16/lb. Crazy.
Why is honey sold by the pound instead of by liquid measure?
__________________
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Why is honey sold by the pound instead of by liquid measure?
I don't know. I've always heard it expressed in pounds and then converted depending on the size of the container. You probably know that honey is heavier than water, so one pound of honey is 12 fluid ounces.
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
honey, sugar

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.