Baking Pies with Foil Plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VegLover

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I've just launched a baked goods business from home, supplying the neighbourhood with a range of cakes, pies, muffins, scones and cookies. Lots of older people around here who don't bake anymore, so I've already had quite a few enquiries!

My question is - if I bake a pie (e.g. apple) with a foil pie plate, do I need to grease it? It's been a long time since I've baked anything in one of these so I can't remember what I should do.

Also, should the pastry base be cooked for a few minutes in a foil plate before adding the filling, or do I do it all at the same time?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you Andy M

I love how I can ask a question and get a quick and useful answer from people who use this forum! Lots of forums aren't like that. That's why I'll be sticking around this one for a long time :chef:

I never grease the pie pan. There is enough butter or shortening in the crust itself, as far as pre-baking the crust, i only do that for cream pies: Sour cream raisin, coconut cream, etc.

I never grease the pie pan. There is enough butter or shortening in the crust itself, as far as pre-baking the crust, i only do that for cream pies: Sour cream raisin, coconut cream, etc.

All custard based pies, such as pumpkin, key lime, lemon merangue, etc, need to be blind-baked. It's a good idea to blind-bake berry pies as they are so very juicy. Also, when you blind bake a crust, brush it with egg wash. The egg wash will set and act as a barrier to the liquid before it sets, and keep the crust from getting soggy.

Ice-cream pie crusts should also be blind-baked before adding the filling.

seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I always give the pan a quick spray with cooking spray, just for insurance. It isn't always needed, but can make it a bit easier to get the slices out, especially in a foil pan that has all of those little creases along the sides.

If it is going to be a single crust pie, I always blind bake. If it is a 2 crust pie, then no, you aren't able to crimp the top and bottom crusts. I had a friend tell me that her grandmother always blind baked her crusts, even the 2 crust ones, she would just take and form the raw dough over the baked, crimped edge and go from there, I've never tried it, but I bet it would work, just make sure the crust is cool before doing this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom