"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 01-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #11
Master Chef

Auroroa's site includes this regarding substitutions:

baking powder (single-acting, see above): 2 tsp cream of tartar, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt per cup of flour (source: Joy of Cooking)
baking powder (single-acting): 2 parts Bakewell Cream, 1 part baking soda
baking powder (rising equivalent): for 1 tsp use 1/4 tsp baking soda plus 5/8 tsp cream of tartar (source: Joy of Cooking, other equivalents given)
baking powder (measuring equivalent): for each tsp, 1/2 tsp cream of tartar, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot. Mix only as much as you need per recipe since it will lose potency during storage. (source: Rodale's Basic Natural Foods Cookbook)
baking powder (double-acting, SAS, see above): for 1 tsp use 1-1/2 tsp phosphate or tartrate baking powder (source: Joy of Cooking)

What does the "rising equivalent" mean??

Old 01-27-2006, 09:31 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Hi Debbie,

I sent you a PM, but will post here just so that others know. In Canada, double action baking powder is called "continuous action" baking powder. Also, we don't use sodium aluminum sulfate in baking powder because of suspected links to Alzheimer's.

Old 01-27-2006, 09:36 PM   #13
Senior Cook

wow, I would have never known that... thank you for helping me! :)
Old 01-27-2006, 10:10 PM   #14
Senior Cook

all i know is don't put any baking powder on a fire or POW!!!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 10:44 PM   #15
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs
all i know is don't put any baking powder on a fire or POW!!!!!
I am so glad you took some of my lessons to heart sweetie. Now I know you won't be blowing up our beautiful new kitchen when I let you in there.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:56 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
...What does the "rising equivalent" mean??
It means that this combination of ingredients will provide rising power equal to a measure of commercial BP.

The measuring equivalent will do the same AND measure the same as commercial baking powder due to the addition of corn starch.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:51 AM   #17
Head Chef

I posted earlier a site that deals in spices and where I was able to find baking ammonia ... in this discussion about acids and such, I know that my grandmother not only used the ammonia for her wonderful chocolate cookies but as her baking soda as well (with a base - i'm guessing corn starch). My mom tells stories at Christmas about the huge Ball Canning jar of baking ammonia my grandmother would have in her pantry and how easily it could be mistaken for powdered sugar until you opened the lid.
Baking ammonia used to be readily found at local pharmacies but not any longer ... if you happen to have some, you could use that in your homemade mix but I'm not sure the amounts and not sure how many people have inherited it from their grandmothers!

Tags
None