"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 11-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #11
Sous Chef

do you have a reference to a successful copyright suit that you are talking about? I doubt it has the same facts as this but go ahead...

Old 11-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

It doesn't have to have the same facts. We are not putting ourselves in a position to separately evaluate every copyrighted recipe for applicability. Our policy was fashioned to protect this site and its members.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:22 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I dont see how your policy works and/or makes logical sense.

Look at the policy posted, it says you can post a copyright recipe so long as you change some words. But it has to be more than a few. So how many? The policy doesnt say. How is a person supposed to know?

Anyhow, do you have a reference to the case you are talking about?
Old 11-15-2007, 01:06 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinmaryland View Post
I dont see how your policy works and/or makes logical sense.

Look at the policy posted, it says you can post a copyright recipe so long as you change some words. But it has to be more than a few. So how many? The policy doesnt say. How is a person supposed to know?

Anyhow, do you have a reference to the case you are talking about?

It doesn't really have to 'make logical sense' to you. It has to make the site owner feel comfortable that he's not going to be blindsided with a lawsuit from Old Lady Brennan. If the recipe says 'cook the bananas over high heat till golden' all you have to do is type 'saute sliced bananas in medium size skillet on high till the sugar caramelizes'. It's not that difficult do, but you do actually have to type in the recipe. No cutting and pasting.

The idea is you are posting it with your name, so it appears to be your recipe. But, if you just cut and paste from the Brennan's site, it's Old Lady Brennan's recipe, and she (in addition to the site owner) don't take kindly to people stealing her digs. I never really understand the impetus behind coming to someone's ballpark, jumping into a game already in progress and then crying foul when they don't care for the rules everyone has agreed upon with registration.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Why cant I criticize a policy that makes no sense to me and/or makes no legal sense either?

Do you have a copy of that case that has the legal dept. so worked up over?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinmaryland View Post
Why cant I criticize a policy that makes no sense to me and/or makes no legal sense either?

Do you have a copy of that case that has the legal dept. so worked up over?
You're welcome to criticize our policies in a civilized manner. You are not required to agree with them, only to comply with them.

I am not going to go look for any documentation to support my earlier statement, it's irrelevant to the central issue - that we have a copyright policy that we are enforcing for the protection of the community and ownership.

I really have nothing more to say.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:32 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

jpinmaryland, the bottom line is that we have a policy in place that needs to be followed. It is there not only for the protection of the site, but for your protection as well. These rules are not up to your interpretation or for you to decide that they are stupid. You can feel that way if you like, but you still either need to follow the rules or find somewhere else to play.

If you would like to discuss it further then you are free to send a message to any of the staff members or to create a separate thread about it. THIS thread is (or was) about helping a member with Bananas Foster. That is the only thing that should have been discussed here as another community policy that we have (that you agreed to follow when you signed up) was to stay on topic and not hijack threads.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Red face copywrite laws

If you remember the old AOL, there used to be a recipe exchange online there that was ongoing. People would copy recipes from cookbooks onto the site all the time, and TELL where they came from. I'm sure AOL had to pay some penalties for allowing recipes from copywrite protected cookbooks to be printed. If you were the creative soul who put a cookbook together, put your money and time into the work and marketed it, I'm sure you would want your efforts protected.

Tags
None