"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 09-11-2006, 12:30 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef
7. gaze into your date's eyes and tell him/her that you hope they're as good as the dessert.
perhaps the flames are being blown out by hot air?

one more suggesting more rum. also, if you have a mini blow torch, like the kind used to carmelize sugar on creme brulee, try igniting it with that. you're sure to get the flame close enough to the sauce, and there won't be the smell of singed hair from your hands.

waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:57 AM   #12
Senior Cook

As I'm sure you're aware, Bananas Foster was invented by Brennan's. Their recipe can be found here:

http://www.brennansneworleans.com/r_bananasfoster.html

The ingredients are identical to yours (except doubled), but the procedures are slightly different. Instead of saying "2 minutes" the recipe directs you to cook the dessert until "the banana sections soften and begin to brown." Depending on what kind of BTU's you're pumping out, this could be longer than 2 minutes. It could be that your recipe has too much residual water from the bananas, banana liquer and butter for the rum to ignite properly. I would go with a fairly low heat and cook it until the bananas are fairly dry/the liquid quite reduced, then add the rum. At a low heat, this might take a while. That's one thing I'd do.

The other aspect involved in flambeeing is that the rum should boil fairly aggressively in order to drive off enough alcohol to ignite. Although the caramelization of the sugar, deglazing and softening of the bananas might work well with lower heat, flambeeing works much better at a higher temp. Once you add the rum, crank up the heat. Keep the bananas moving so they don't stick on/burn. Give the sauce a few moments to bubble, then carefully ignite.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
As I'm sure you're aware, Bananas Foster was invented by Brennan's. Their recipe can be found here:

http://www.brennansneworleans.com/r_bananasfoster.html

The ingredients are identical to yours (except doubled), but the procedures are slightly different. Instead of saying "2 minutes" the recipe directs you to cook the dessert until "the banana sections soften and begin to brown." Depending on what kind of BTU's you're pumping out, this could be longer than 2 minutes. It could be that your recipe has too much residual water from the bananas, banana liquer and butter for the rum to ignite properly. I would go with a fairly low heat and cook it until the bananas are fairly dry/the liquid quite reduced, then add the rum. At a low heat, this might take a while. That's one thing I'd do.

The other aspect involved in flambeeing is that the rum should boil fairly aggressively in order to drive off enough alcohol to ignite. Although the caramelization of the sugar, deglazing and softening of the bananas might work well with lower heat, flambeeing works much better at a higher temp. Once you add the rum, crank up the heat. Keep the bananas moving so they don't stick on/burn. Give the sauce a few moments to bubble, then carefully ignite.

great advice... thanks.

i'm sure if i introduce the flame immediately, it'll light-up quicker and burn off.

btw, i sometimes change my recipe by adding in 1/8 teaspoon of pure almond extract AND by tossing-in a handful of pecans.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef
great advice... thanks.

i'm sure if i introduce the flame immediately, it'll light-up quicker and burn off.

btw, i sometimes change my recipe by adding in 1/8 teaspoon of pure almond extract AND by tossing-in a handful of pecans.
sort of... "Banana Fosters Cha-cha-cha", eh?
I like it!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:25 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Slicer
Use high-proof rum and warm it before adding it to the pan.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:05 PM   #16
Master Chef

Well, if you can trust the guys at Brennan's to know how to do this properly, here is what I just watched them do as they demonstrated how to do it on FoodTV:

1) He was using a table side gas burner - med-hi to high
2) He was using a frying pan (flared sides) not a sauté pan (straight sides)
3) When he added the banana liquer - he removed the pan from the heat, added the banana liquer to the side of the pan opposite (away from) the handle - then tilted the pan as he slid it back over the flames - flambé #1. Then stirred and cooked for a couple of minutes.
4) He repeated the same process with the rum for flambé #2.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Michael's description matches my memory of the finish of a memorable breakfast my wife and I had at Brennans prior to Katrina. Do have the ice cream very cold or it'll melt too fast when the bannas and sauce meet it. The alcohol has to fire when it hits the pan, before it gets diluted by pan juices, reducing it's proof.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:03 PM   #18
Sous Chef

EXACTLY what Michael says. The liquer has to be warmed. It has to be able to get to the flame. I flamed some cognac successfully from a straight sided pan--you just have to tilt it.
If you tilt the high sided pan into the flame, it will ignite.
I don't think you want to drive off much alcohol during the cooking--that is what is burned--and the burning is what "drives it off".
Old 12-20-2006, 03:46 PM   #19
Head Chef

Flaming your food is very intimidating. Would Smokey do this. Don't burn the house down. etc etc etc.

Actually alcoholic beverages like rum...flame but do not make a great heat temperature and don't burn for long. You get more heat from a candle.

We used rubbing alcohol for our fondue pots. It kept the food warm but nothing cooked or burned.

Tags
None