as a native louisianian and want-to-be chef, i'm almost embarrassed to say that for the 2nd time in 2 weeks, i can NOT get my myer's dark rum to ignite while making bananas foster.
i've done this several times with NO problems, but lately, i can't get the rum to ignite.
btw, here's the recipe for 2 people:
2 T butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 T banana liquer (LeRoux Creme de Banana is awesome)
2 T myer's dark rum
2 scoops Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream.
1. melt the butter & sugar until carmelized... sprinkle in the cinnamon
2. add the bananas and banana liquer and cook on low-med heat for about 2 min.
3. carefully add the myer's dark rum... and let it heat up until very warm.
4. ignite by tipping the pan or using a long kitchen match.
5. let the bananas cook for another 2 min. on low heat-making sure they're all completely covered in the sauce... then have your date grab 2 spoons and 1 bowl.
6. dump the ice cream in the bowl, place the bananas on top, and pour on the sauce.
7. gaze into your date's eyes and tell him/her that you hope they're as good as the dessert.