"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 03-23-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Basbosa cake

This is the recipe of Basbosa cake. It is a well known dessert in Egypt. I hope you enjoy it.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups semolina
  • 5 tablespoons powder milk
  • 1 cup fine sugar
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup cream or 1 cup mixed nuts for filling
  • Syrup Ingredients:
  • 2 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • juice from 1 lemon
Preparation:
  • Prepare syrup first. Dissolve the sugar in water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Once the syrup begins to boil. Reduce heat and allow to slowly boil for about 8-10 minutes. Add the juice of lemon then remove from heat and set aside.
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9x12 baking dish.
  • In a large bowl, mix the milk, semolina, baking powder, water,butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until you have a smooth mix
  • Pour half the mixture into the baking dish and smooth with spoon
  • Now add the filling either cream or mixed nuts
  • Cover the filling with the rest of the mix and smooth with spoon
  • Place in the oven for 25-30 min.or until it turns brown
  • When removed from the oven, pour the cool syrup on top of the hot basbosa. Take care to pour on every part.
  • Leave the basbosa to cool down for 15 min. then start to cut it as the above picture
  • Sprinkle some minced pistachio on top as garnish

Old 03-23-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
Head Chef

Yum! That's two for two today, Mrs.Mom! Do you happen to have room for one more "kid" at your house?

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
Yum! That's two for two today, Mrs.Mom! Do you happen to have room for one more "kid" at your house?
You are always welcomed
Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Thanks Mom, I will definetly give your recipe a try when I stop my diet, I bet you make a good ba ba Ganuj your recipe and method please
Old 03-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
back off Ze Mrs Mom adopted me yesterday

Tags
cake, recipe, semolina

Basbosa cake [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]This is the recipe of Basbosa cake. It is a well known dessert in Egypt. I hope you enjoy it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/36268-albums325-picture2629.jpg[/IMG] [B][SIZE=5][COLOR=Indigo]Ingredients:[/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=Indigo] [/COLOR][/B] [LIST] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]2 cups semolina[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]5 tablespoons powder milk[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]1 cup fine sugar [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]1 stick butter, softened[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]1 tablespoon baking powder[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]1 cup water[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]1 egg [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]1 cup cream or 1 cup mixed nuts for filling[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]Syrup Ingredients:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]2 1/4 cups sugar[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]1 1/2 cups water[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]juice from 1 lemon[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [/LIST] [B][SIZE=5][COLOR=Indigo]Preparation:[/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=Indigo] [/COLOR][/B] [LIST] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]Prepare syrup first. Dissolve the sugar in water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Once the syrup begins to boil. Reduce heat and allow to slowly boil for about 8-10 minutes. Add the juice of lemon then remove from heat and set aside.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9x12 baking dish. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]In a large bowl, mix the milk, semolina, baking powder, water,butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until you have a smooth mix[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]Pour half the mixture into the baking dish and smooth with spoon[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]Now add the filling either cream or mixed nuts[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]Cover the filling with the rest of the mix and smooth with spoon[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]Place in the oven for 25-30 min.or until it turns brown[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]When removed from the oven, pour the cool syrup on top of the hot basbosa. Take care to pour on every part.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]Leave the basbosa to cool down for 15 min. then start to cut it as the above picture[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [*][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]Sprinkle some minced pistachio on top as garnish [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [/LIST] 3 stars 1 reviews