"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
Beaters

I am having troubles with flat cookies and some of what I read says that adding too much air will make a cookie go flat. The beaters on my mixer are wirey. My old mixer used to look like this. My new ones look like four wires from a wisk. Could this be part of the problem.

__________________

__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
Are you using butter in your cookies? Butter can cause flat cookies. Consider thoroughly chilling the dough and keeping it chilled until you put it onto the cookie sheets. You can also chill the cookie sheets between batches.

This makes a big difference because butter melts at a low temperature so the dough spreads before it can set its shape. Chilling the dough helps counteract the early melting.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I am having troubles with flat cookies and some of what I read says that adding too much air will make a cookie go flat. The beaters on my mixer are wirey. My old mixer used to look like this. My new ones look like four wires from a wisk. Could this be part of the problem.
Whisks add air like for meringues and whipped cream or cakes.Try mixing the old fashiond way by hand.Or go get a cheap mixer like your old mixer usually about $15.00 at walmart
__________________
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Are you using butter in your cookies? Butter can cause flat cookies. Consider thoroughly chilling the dough and keeping it chilled until you put it onto the cookie sheets. You can also chill the cookie sheets between batches.

This makes a big difference because butter melts at a low temperature so the dough spreads before it can set its shape. Chilling the dough helps counteract the early melting.
I, we, actually the DW was having this problem.... this solved it.


Enjoy!
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
I don't use butter, just margarine and shortening. I tried the cooling and it helped a little. I also picked up a $6 hand mixer at Walmart to see if that helps too.

Unfortunately I can't mix by hand, bilateral carpal tunnel that's really acting up lately and there's no way I could cream shortening and sugar by hand. It's hard enough just to mix in chocolate chips. Hopefully the combination will work.
__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I don't use butter, just margarine and shortening. I tried the cooling and it helped a little. I also picked up a $6 hand mixer at Walmart to see if that helps too.

Unfortunately I can't mix by hand, bilateral carpal tunnel that's really acting up lately and there's no way I could cream shortening and sugar by hand. It's hard enough just to mix in chocolate chips. Hopefully the combination will work.
I also have terrible Carpel Tunnel lately I need need to wear braces on both wrists to sleep if I dont I wake at night with terrible pain in my hand/hands depending how hard Ive been on them.Not only that I have Planter Fasciitis in both feet but the RX Crocs have fixed that or so it seems.
__________________
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:50 AM   #7
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Des Moines Iowa
Posts: 1,214
Do not use margerine it is total FAT of the wrong kind for your body.. Every cookie cook book I own calles for BUTTER make sure the dough is chilled before you bake
__________________
Cook with passion or don't cook at all
Dave Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:56 AM   #8
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 2,409
Andy M., what would you substitute for the butter?
__________________
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
Do not use margerine it is total FAT of the wrong kind for your body.. Every cookie cook book I own calles for BUTTER make sure the dough is chilled before you bake
I've used Impreial margarine for 37 years since the first time I ever made this recipe. I'm not about to change now because that's obviously not the problem or it would have been the problem 37 years ago. Any cookie recipe sans butter cookies I've ever tried to use butter with has been horrid. And margarine is cholesterol free where as butter has cholesterol. But that's a discussion for another time.

So far, chilling hasn't helped, adding more flour hasn't helped, not using the ice cream looking scoop helped a little but they are still flat and chewy. I want fluffy and more cake like. I've actually switched to the breads because this is frustrating the heck out of me. On the good side, the pumpkin raisin bread was great and reconstituting the raisins in grape juice was awesome.
__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Andy M., what would you substitute for the butter?

I wouldn't substitute for the butter. Chilling the dough and keeping it chilled will prevent the flat cookies.

If you feel you must use something other than butter, try butter flavored shortening.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.