"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 01-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Hello De Reston~
Just read your recipe for Bonet. I am 100% Italian. All my grandparents are from the Piedmont area of Northern Italy. My grandmother made this dessert for holidays, but it never had chocolate or amaretti in it. It was just sugar, milk, eggs, and vanilla. She "burnt" the sugar first in the pan before adding the other ingredients. I wonder about the name "Bonet". It is very French sounding. My grandmother called it Bonetto.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I can assure you that round here, and as far as I know, everywhere else now in this area, makes Bonet in the manner I described - the recipe was given to me by my neighbour, who is pure blood Piedmontese Italian, and whose family has lived in the same house for over five generations! I have no reason to doubt her, or you either, come to that - Piedmont is a very large province, and local recipes very from place to place - I would be intrigued if you would post your recipe so I can try that as well!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Old 01-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyCooks View Post
Hello De Reston~
Just read your recipe for Bonet. I am 100% Italian. All my grandparents are from the Piedmont area of Northern Italy. My grandmother made this dessert for holidays, but it never had chocolate or amaretti in it. It was just sugar, milk, eggs, and vanilla. She "burnt" the sugar first in the pan before adding the other ingredients. I wonder about the name "Bonet". It is very French sounding. My grandmother called it Bonetto.
The name's derivation partly comes because the Piedmont region was at one time ruled by the French and the word, bonet, means "bonnet" or hat. Supposition is that it is termed such because a mold to make bonet is shaped a bit like a chef's hat.

As with many regional dishes, there can be alternate ways/ingredients. I find that to be true with recipes within my own ethnic family.

However bonet is prepared, it's bound to be delicious.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:57 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Thanks for the information, Katie. I totally agree.

Di Reston ~ I think I have figured out why my grandmother made Bonet without cocoa and amaretti. Katie is right about France once owning the Piedmont region. I believe the village my grandparents came from was influenced by France. The Bonet that my grandmother made was very similar to the recipe for French Creme Brle. Also, instead of referring to rabbit as coniglio (Italian), she called rabbit lapin, the French word for rabbit. So, that is probably why she did not make the traditional Italian Bonet.

Tags
recipe

Bonet Bonet - delicious chocolate pudding 6 large eggs 1 pint milk cup sugar, and water to make a syrup 3 serving spoons of cocoa powder (dark) 8 oz amaretti Make a caramel with the sugar and water Separate the eggs and beat together with the sugar. Soak the amaretti and the cocoa in the milk beat the egg whites to snowy peaks, as for meringue coat a rectangular bread tin with the caramel and allow to cool. Fold together the other ingredients. Pour into the bread tin. Cook in a bain marie for 30 minutes, or until fairly firm to the touch. un mold onto a rectangular dish, and decorate the top with a straight line of crisp amaretti down the centre. You can put brandy or rum in if you want, but I prefer just the flavour of dark chocolate, almonds and caramel. This is very easy to make, and is always a great favourite at any dinner party. di reston 3 stars 1 reviews