"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #41
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Looks great! I was wondering about this the other day and what you ended up doing. What method did you end up using to make the imprinted strawberries?
The original recipe called for a thin paste made from cake flour, a little sugar, egg white and oil as well as a lot of food coloring. It was tough and chewy when cooked. I cut the flour way down and added whole egg. it improved the texture a lot - not perfect but better. The design is piped onto parchment and frozen, then the cake batter is poured over to bake, then invert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Those are beautiful, and I love the presentation with all the fresh berries
The berries were an afterthought because we had a couple of gluten intolerant folks at the bash AND because I needed to gussy up the tray. There was ice cream to go with. win/win.

The cakes were made in 6 inch pans (chocolate), 7 inch pans (blueberry) and a small jelly roll pan. They were tall but not very big.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:10 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

All three cakes are just stunning Janet. I hope there was a well deserved round of applause for your hard work and thoughtfulness. Well done!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:15 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
All three cakes are just stunning Janet. I hope there was a well deserved round of applause for your hard work and thoughtfulness. Well done!!
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto

Just stunning Janet - Love that they are smallish.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:33 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Your cakes turned out stunning, Janet! I'm just now getting to view the images - for some reason most photos on DC stopped displaying on my phone or tablet a few weeks ago. Today was the first chance I had to sit and play on DC on my laptop.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:54 PM   #45
Cook

OP - cakes look fantastic in your pics! Congratulations!

Although late to this party, I would like suggest a cake board (like a charcuteries board). I would offer carrot cake, chocolate, and flourless almond cupcakes. Plus I would offer toppings of nuts, berries, icings of flavoured buttercreams, cream cheese icing, lemon curd, and liqueurs including Frangelico, and Grand Marnier.

profnot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cake, other