Cake idea needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
, and 1/2 Nutella. Place parchment paper into the cake pan, ,making eigher three lar

I need some help from the DC hive mind. I've been tasked to bake a birthday cake for 3 people who share the same birthday - one cake, 3 birthdays. They are BIG Birthdays with 0's and so the cake needs to be special.

It will be served at a smallish dinner party and the 3 celebrants have unique tastes.

One loves chocolate
One dislikes chocolate and almond flavors and prefers citrus flavors or carrot cake (but no raisins)
One likes berry, almond and caramel flavors
They all dislike fondant

I am up for making something out of the ordinary - maybe a 3 tiered cake; but need to ideas for flavor combinations

Any ideas?
Take your largest cake pan, or even a roasting pan, and prepare it by buttering, and flouring the bottom and sides. Make three separate cake batters, i might suggest pineapple upside-down cake, chocolate mayonnaise cake, and carrot cake, each with appropriate frosting. For the chocolate frosting, mix as 1.2 chocolate buttercream

Cut .parchment paper to divide the pan, rectangular, o circular, into 3 equal sections. Fill each section with cake batter and bake until done. Invert cake onto suitable serving dish and frost with the right frosting for each, cream cheese frosting for the carrot cake, chocolate-buttercream/Nutella for the chocolate, and no frosting required for the pineapple upside-down cake.

Hope this helps, or at least inspires. Oh, remove the parchment paper before frosting the cakes.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief longwind of the North

, and 1/2 Nutella. Place parchment paper into the cake pan, ,making eigher three lar

I need some help from the DC hive mind. I've been tasked to bake a birthday cake for 3 people who share the same birthday - one cake, 3 birthdays. They are BIG Birthdays with 0's and so the cake needs to be special.

It will be served at a smallish dinner party and the 3 celebrants have unique tastes.

One loves chocolate
One dislikes chocolate and almond flavors and prefers citrus flavors or carrot cake (but no raisins)
One likes berry, almond and caramel flavors
They all dislike fondant

I am up for making something out of the ordinary - maybe a 3 tiered cake; but need to ideas for flavor combinations.

Any ideas?

Largest cake pan, round or rectangular. three cakes, carrot, chocolate/Mayonnaise, and pineapple upside down cake. Divide pan into three equal sections, and fill each section with one of the cake batters, bake until done. Invert onto suitable serving plate/platter. Frost the chocolate cake with chocolate butter-cream tha has been mixes with an equal amount of Nutella. Cream cheese frosting for the carrot cake. No frosting required for the pineapple upside-down cake. There you have it, cakes to meet every person's taste, and fairly easy to make.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Have to admit I like the look of CakePoet's link with the drippy caramel over the white icing.

Here's the recipe for the caramel icing I use. It's from The Cake Doctor cookbook, though I added the pinch of salt. Makes about 3 cups.

8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
good pinch of salt
1/4 cup whole milk
2 cups 10x sugar, sifted (very important to sift, lumps otherwise)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Over medium heat in a medium-size sauce pan, melt the butter, salt and both sugars. Bring to a boil, stirring slowly constantly, then boil for 2 minutes. Stir in the milk and bring back to a boil. Remove from heat. Beat the sifted 10x sugar and vanilla in with a wooden spoon until mixture is smooth. Frost cake immediately (while frosting is still warm) or the frosting will harden. If it does harden, place the pan back over low heat and stir until it softens.

Last edited:
Butterscotch icing is great on yellow cake, spice cake, and of course, on butterscotch cake. If there are leftovers, it's great as a topping for parfaits, ice cream sundays, and added to vanilla ice cream and milk to make shakes ad malts.

Another option for your cakes is to make a trifle, with multiple layers of different cakes, and toppings.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My former church has a banquet every year to honour all the graduating students who attend. For several years I made the cakes for these banquets. One year I decided to do things differently. I made a large (15-inch x 4 inch) cake for the guests and one 6 inch x 4 inches for each of the six grads. They could either share it with their family table or take it home and eat from the large cake. They were thrilled to have their own cakes with their names on them in small cut-out letters on toothpicks so they stood up on the cake.

You wouldn't want to do 3 cakes and a big one but could certainly get away with the 3 6 inch cakes with each person's name on it.

After some stewing I have a new plan and need a little help...

Cake 1 (as before):
lemon cake layers
Interior: blueberry jam
Exterior: berry scented cream cheese icing

Cake 2:
Chocolate stout cake layers
Berries and icing between layers
Chocolate icing, topped with fresh raspberries

Cake 3:
This: https://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2019/05/strawberry-cake-roll.html
I did a test bake over the weekend and it's amazing except for the recipe for the decoration which was dry and chewy.

The roll was delicious and the filling is also wonderful. The piped decorations are spectacular but they taste awful.

How can I improve this?

The recipe calls for:
1 large egg white
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 cup cake flour
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
food coloring

I had to double the egg white to make it pipeable - there has to be a misprint in the proportions above. Even with this change the decorative bits were not tasty and they were texture violators...

Any ideas?

It isn't the same effect, but how about using strawberry fruit leather and cut them out of that? I am sure you could still bake them onto the cake in the same fashion.

What kind of food coloring did you use? Liquid, gel, paste? Maybe use the gel or paste, cut down on the flour and vege oil? That seems like a lot of flour.

Or you could simply do it like she did her pumpkin roll, use the same batter, pipe it, freeze the design, then add rest of batter and bake. I even kind of like the mascarpone filling, strawberry cheesecakey like, yummy.

Last edited:
What kind of food coloring did you use? Liquid, gel, paste? Maybe use the gel or paste, cut down on the flour and vege oil? That seems like a lot of flour.

Or you could simply do it like she did her pumpkin roll, use the same batter, pipe it, freeze the design, then add rest of batter and bake. I even kind of like the mascarpone filling, strawberry cheesecakey like, yummy.

I used gel coloring.

Recipe sites with decorator frosting:

Decorator Buttercreqm: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/7486/decorator-frosting-i/

Soft Whipped Fluffy frosting:https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15265/fluffy-white-frosting/?internalSource=staff%20pick&referringId=2419&referringContentType=Recipe%20Hub

Marshmallow Icing:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/2...ingContentType=Recipe Hub&clickId=cardslot 13

Filled Cakes: For these, you could substitute with white white chocolate, add food coloring, and make a fruit butter for the center. You could make a butterscotch, or camel, or nut-butter filling as well. You could fill it with a Maraschino cherry, or apple chuck, or custard, anything that can be froen befor baking. - https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/2...ringContentType=Recipe Hub&clickId=cardslot 9

Just a few more options.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Fondant is often used to make cake decorations. Here is a link to a video showing how t make it. Add paste food coloring to the liquid ingredients to change the color. Add different extracts to change the flavor.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/218682/chocolate-fondant-a-la-maille/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringId=2417&referringContentType=Recipe%20Hub&clickId=cardslot%209

The first post states that all three celebrants dislike fondant.

The first post states that all three celebrants dislike fondant.

Here is a sight for modeling chocolate recipes. Just know htat modeling chocolate, when left out at room temp will become hard. But you can cut it, sculpt it, or shape it to anything you want while it's pliable.

https://hungryhappenings.com/chocolate-making-tips/modeling-chocolate-recipe-candy-clay/

Another option might be to experiment with adding dissolved gelatin to a buttercream, and let it set up after spreading it flat on parchment paper. The gelatin just might allow it to be cut into shapes. I would try that as well.

Circling back on this - a few days ago we had the big B-day bash. (you may recalls - 3 birthdays celebrated at one event and all of them important b-days turning over a new decade).

I made 3 smallish cakes:

Chocolate stout cake with fresh raspberries and a little jam between the layers.
The icing is made with cream cheese instead of butter

Strawberry roll - a jelly roll style cake with hints of lemon. The cream filling is whipped cream with ground up dehydrated strawberries and stabilized with a little gelatin

Lemon cake with blueberry jam between the 4 layers. The icing is cream cheese and the jam is added to the icing to change up the color.

some quick phone pics...

3cakes_2.jpg
3cakes_1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great! I was wondering about this the other day and what you ended up doing. What method did you end up using to make the imprinted strawberries?

Back
Top Bottom