"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 02-18-2005, 06:45 PM   #11
Certified Executive Chef

I have frozen it, and the texture changes, it rather gets grainy somewhat but I just fixed it by adding a little milk and whipping it until it was the right consistency.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:02 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
I have frozen it, and the texture changes, it rather gets grainy somewhat but I just fixed it by adding a little milk and whipping it until it was the right consistency.
Thanks for that info, as I find it just "ducky" that I can maybe still use this! Although, mine is the lite type....will try it anyway.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:23 PM   #13
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovin
Quote:
Thanks for that info, as I find it just "ducky" that I can maybe still use this! Although, mine is the lite type....will try it anyway.
Jovin, I always buy the lite or neuftechel, lower in fat and I cannot tell the difference.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:02 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Well that's good to know. Thanks. I appreciate it.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:53 PM   #15
Master Chef

PA Baker certainly gave good advice. I've never tried freezing it (it doesn't last that long around here) ... but I went out the Kraft foods "Ask Kraft" website and here is their answer:

We do not recommend freezing cheese that will be used for spreading due to a possible change in its texture; it may become curdled in appearance and have a crumbly texture. Regular brick cream cheese can be frozen up to 2 months for use as an ingredient in recipes.

Since your're going to use it as an ingredient in a dip it will probably be fine. PA Baker and Norgeskog both had a good idea about creaming it to smooth it out ... I don't remember which TV personality did it - but I remember once seeing someone cream it with a little cream to get the texture back.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:01 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to nicole
Quote:
I do the same thing
Old 02-20-2005, 11:30 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Thanks Nicole and Michael...I do appreciate the comments and the time you took to reply.

Tags
None