Can I use a food mill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Hi,

I have a recipe for cranberry pound cake w/ a cranberry glaze. The glaze is water, sugar and cranberries. I cook it then it says to "strain through a fine sieve, pressing hard on solids."

Wouldn't it be much easier to use a food mill? Will it all go through? Or will I mess this glaze up if I do this?

Thanks!

p.s. let me know if anyone wants me to post the recipe.

A food mill is not fine enough - the only thing that will work is a wire mesh strainer, pressing and scraping with a big spoon.

You will need to scrape the strained liquid off the bottom of the strainer but do that with a different spoon - otherwise the spoon you use for the top will just get the seeds in it you are trying to strain out.

Cranberry Pound Cake with Cranberry Glaze #57008 (recipezaar.com)
Cake
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs (room temperature)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cups cranberries (picked over)
Glaze
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups cranberries (picked over)

Cake: Preheat oven to 350F with shelf in middle of oven.
Butter and flour 3-quart bundt cake pan.
In large bowl of electric mixer, cream butter; add sugar, a little at a time, until light and fluffy; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk (begin and end with flour); fold in cranberries; spoon batter into prepared cake pan; smooth the top.
Bake 1-1/4 hours or until tester comes out clean; cool on rack 10 minutes; turn out; allow to cool completely.
Glaze: In heavy saucepan, over moderate heat, cook sugar and water; stir and wash down crystals on side of pan with brush dipped in water; add cranberries; bring to a boil; boil, undisturbed, until mixture reaches 250F;.
strain through fine sieve, pressing hard on solids;.
allow to cool slightly; brush on cake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom