Can you figure out the rest of this recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For all who are afraid of the raw egg whites, you can easily pasteurize you own eggs, or purchase pasteurized egg whites at the grocers. l Then you don't have to worry about pathogens in your home-made, uncooed marangue.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

From what you say, your dessert is very probably Tiramisù. The origins of this recipe go back to the Middle Ages, and it was principaly used by the chefs in the courts of Florence, under the Medici, Venice, under the Doge, and Piedmont, where there was a monarchy. I came across it years and years ago - late 70's if I recall correctly - when I was visiting friends in Piedmont.

In actual fact, the word 'tiramisù' literally means 'pick-me-up', and my friends have always used it not only a dessert, but also, as the name of the dish implies, as a pick-me-up. Everybody had hens, and so it was possible to get fresh or day-old eggs to do it with.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

The recipe I learned had a bottom layer of sponge fingers soaked in rum, and then a top layer of the whipped mixture. On top of that, a very thick layer of
cocao powder. Then it was put into the fridge for 24 hrs. When it came out, the layer of cocoa powder had become a rich, creamy, chocolate topping. These days, people like to have two or three layers. Personally I prefer the original one I learned back in the 1970's.

I remember when Tiramisù became popular, and different versions emerged, but it was still essentially the same dessert, and it's remained popular to this day.

Caveat: when you make Tiramisù, it should be consumed same day because of the raw eggs

Thank you everyone for your great ideas! I would like to say that the recipe i tried was great. But since the cream is a bit heavy, i should not thicken the cream layer as much as i did but put just enough to cover the biscuits (unless you like to have too much cream :P ).

Also concerning the raw eggs issue, i made the recipe specifically with cream and not eggs so that it can last a few days.

Cheers:chef:

Thank you everyone for your great ideas! I would like to say that the recipe i tried was great. But since the cream is a bit heavy, i should not thicken the cream layer as much as i did but put just enough to cover the biscuits (unless you like to have too much cream :P ).

Also concerning the raw eggs issue, i made the recipe specifically with cream and not eggs so that it can last a few days.

Cheers:chef:

I would like to thank you for returning to the site and letting us know your outcome. So often a person will come in with a question, we all give what knowledge we have to share, and never hear from the inquirer again.

It was most thoughtful of you to respond to us. Please do stick around. We love new members. And you sound just like the kind we love to have.

The raw egg component, here in Piedmont, where it's called Tiramisù or, in English Pick-me-Up, is what's supposed to pick you up after an illness. To a certain extent, even now, fresh laid raw eggs are consideredd to be a pick-me-up, especially if laced with something a fortified wine such as Marsala or a spirit like Brandy. If you don't need the pick-you -up element, don't put it in. In the good old days, these old wives medicines were much valued and used, but we have the luxury of experienced doctors and effectives medicines or other remedies - such as various therapies, or work-outs, to help us to stay healthy.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom