Can you figure out the rest of this recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daloo92

Assistant Cook
Hello,
I remember a really tasty dessert that our housekeeper used to make when we were kids and I've been trying to remember the recipe for a while now... can you please help?
Here is what i know so far:

• Dip plain biscuits in instant coffee (nescafe) to soften them and place them in the bottom of a pyrex.

• In a seperate bowl, add egg whites and beat until fluffy. Then add cocoa (not sure if this is before or after beating the egg whites). Not sure if some other ingredients should also be added in this step (like sugar or vanilla...)

• Place one layer of biscuits then one layer of the chocolate mix
    Put in the fridge for ?? Hours

This is as much as i remember from it. Are there any more steps or ingredients to it? Also is it a known recipe, if yes then what is it called

Thanks in advance:chef:

It is Tiramisu

I don't think so, cz tiramisu has white filling while my recipe's filling is chocolate. Also it does not taste like coffee ( even though the biscuits are dipped in coffee); it has a sweet taste.
Maybe it's a variable of tiramissu?

That was my first thought Snip. Those biscuits sound like what we call Lady Fingers. A thin cookie type.

Welcome to DC. I am sure someone will come along with the whole recipe.

Tiramisu was my first thought. It may be her variation on something similar. Could be anything. Perhaps the filling is some sort of chocolate mousse?

I didn't read your message properly sorry. The mind is a strange and wonderful thing. I saw the basic steps of Tiramisu and clearly filled in the blanks myself lol. Will go think a bit, maybe I can figure it out.

Tiramisu was my first thought. It may be her variation on something similar. Could be anything. Perhaps the filling is some sort of chocolate mousse?

From her description I have seen so many Italian grandmothers making this by dipping the Lady Fingers in Instant Coffee. They normally use expresso coffee, but here is the U.S. they often found it too expensive. And Nescafe is a big seller in Europe. The nice thing about Tiramisu is you can make it with anything you want to. I made it once for a party and used chocolate whipped cream whereas where as Daloo remembers beaten egg whites. So it certainly sounds like Tiramiasu.

From her description I have seen so many Italian grandmothers making this by dipping the Lady Fingers in Instant Coffee. They normally use expresso coffee, but here is the U.S. they often found it too expensive. And Nescafe is a big seller in Europe. The nice thing about Tiramisu is you can make it with anything you want to. I made it once for a party and used chocolate whipped cream whereas where as Daloo remembers beaten egg whites. So it certainly sounds like Tiramiasu.
I found something similar. I do the same with Tiramisu, use Nescafe. Much cheaper and works fine. I also add Amarula or Baileys. Yum!

Your recipe also looks like it has raw egg whites in so I say pick a recipe you like with mousse like filling and try it with the biscuit coffee base. Can't really go wrong with that combo. Yum!

Could this be it?

Petit Beurre Cake
Ingredients

• Servings

10-15
  • Units

US

Directions

1. Melt chocolate on steam.
  2. Mix together margarine and powdered sugar until foamy add 8 yolks and melted chocolate.
  3. In bigger bowl, mix white of egg (it must be mixed well).
  4. Combine chocolate mix and white of egg mix until it’s mixed well.
  5. Take baking pan (covered with kitchen paper) and put 1st layer: soak Petit Beurre in coffee and put one by another until cover bottom. 2nd layer is chocolate mix then again soaked Petit Beurre, chocolate mix and finally Petit Beurre. It should be 3 layers of Petit Beurre and 2 of chocolate mix between them.
  6. Put cake in freeze over night. When you take it from freezer, cover baking pan with serving tray and upside down. Remove kitchen paper and decorate with whipped cream.

Sure sounds like a chocolate tiramisu of some sort.

Incidentally, most classic tiramisu recipes call for raw eggs. You've probably eaten them many times and not even known it.

Sure sounds like a chocolate tiramisu of some sort.

Incidentally, most classic tiramisu recipes call for raw eggs. You've probably eaten them many times and not even known it.

I very rarely eat a dessert. If I have a doughnut, it is only a half of one and it is a plain cake type. Teramisu I have never even tried.

So after collecting several ideas, here is the recipe I tried:

Ingredients:
  • Around 40 plain biscuits
  • 1 cup instant coffee
  • Mousse chocolate made of:
    • 2 cups cooking cream
    • 2 heaping tbsp unsweetened cacao
    • 1 cup sugar

The amount of biscuits and mousse used depends on the portions you want to make. As a test I prepared 5 cups.
  1. To make the mousse: whip together the cooking cream, the sugar and the cacao. add sugar at the end (when I first made it i noticed that it was very bitter so I added sugar after I was done mixing)
  2. Dip the biscuit in the instant coffee for no more than 2-3 seconds then place it in a cup. add one tablespoon mousse.
  3. Repeat these steps until you have 3 layers of biscuits
  4. Sprinkle cacao on top for decoration (unless anyone has a better idea :P)
  5. Put it in the fridge (waiting for it now :chef:)

Back
Top Bottom