"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 05-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are all NY cheesecakes overbaked?
THE texture of NY Cheesecake, that I have eaten, has been drier and almost crumbily than I like. It also has a brown top which means longer cooking and no bain marie.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

A brown top does not mean no water bath. I make NY cheesecakes in a water bath that finish with a browned top. While NY style cheesecakes are, by definition, less creamy than the lighter styles, they are neither crumbly nor dry as a result.

However, I agree that an overcooked cheesecake will be both crumbly and dry. This is true whether they are of the NY style or otherwise.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane1415
I found that using heavy cream instead of sour cream results in a more creamy and soft texture. I have since changed my basic recipe to reflect that.
I also have a CheeseCake Factory Key Lime clone recipe published in Top Secret Recipes but I have not tried it yet.

Would you mind sharing it?
Old 05-11-2006, 11:51 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swann
For a creamy texture, do not over bake. The NY cheesecake is overbaked in my estimation.
I have considerable experience with cheesecakes. I have baked them for years. And the one I like best, is the heavy, dense, and somewhat dry NY Cheesecake.

That being said, Swann is quite correct. You obtain a lighter, creamier cheesecake by reducing the cooking time by about 10 to 15 minutes. A perfectly baked cheesecake is not supposed to be cooked until dry. It is supposed to be soft and creamy.

To test, bake your cheesecake as you normally would. But 15 minutes before it's time to regularly test, open the oven and jiggle the pan. The very center should not be 100% set, but it should be almost done. At that point, turn off the heat, prop the door open by about 6 inches or so, and allow the cheesecake to cool with the oven. It will continue cooking a bit so that the center is not runny. You will end up with the cheesecake you desire.

Also, as was said above, you can replace some of the cream cheese, or sour cream with heavy whipping cream. This will add more moisture into the batter, again giving you a less dense product.

Another technique is to replace part of the cream cheese with whipped egg whites. But this results in a heavier egg flavor and a filling that feels more like a custard, or even a soufle, depending on how much egg is used. I had cheesecake at a restaurant that was made that way. I didn't care much for it.

To make the filling more moist, you can also swirl any number of pie fillings into the filling as well. And don't forget to top it with something moist.

All of these techniques are available to you, and a quick search on-line will give you even more info. But for the original NY cheesecake flavor, but more moist, just reduce the cooking time. I've done it. It works.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Just curious GoodWeed... how far north in MI are you? I went to college at Mich Tech in Houghton. I called Fenton and Detroit my hometowns 50 yrs ago!
Old 05-13-2006, 11:05 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swann
Just curious GoodWeed... how far north in MI are you? I went to college at Mich Tech in Houghton. I called Fenton and Detroit my hometowns 50 yrs ago!
The only way you can get anyu further North than I am, is bu driving up the Kewenaw Peninsula. I live in Sault St.e Marie, up on the Canada Border. at the other side of the International Bridge, whic is located at the Northernmost end of freeway I-75, is Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. Yep, I'm a Yooper, born and raised, but with a bit more, ok, a lot more exposure to the world than most yoopers.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:21 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
I would say from the high they achieve with their Cheesecakes that they add a gelatin to it. In my bakeshop we have doubled the sugar amount and have added sour cream to our batter along with the other ingredients. We also run fresh vanilla beans in our food processor with sugar to obtain a great vanilla sugar.
Mark
Old 05-13-2006, 02:42 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Thanks for the answer GoodWeed. I am always curious when people say Michigan! I love the UP. I do not think most peopl;e appreciate it and I know even Michiganders do not even think of its existance and few have bothered to visit.

Tags
None