Chocolate and Wine Pairing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would imagine that some Pinot Noirs would go well. I've had some Australian Syrah's that had a some chocolatey undertones and would definitely pair well with chocolate.

Banfi Rosa Regale - it's a very deep pink, Italian, sparkling dessert wine and is FABULOUS with chocolate.

I like a red zinfandel with chocolate too. The stronger the wine the more cocoa I like. With the zin I like a 72% cacao - with a port a 52% is fine. I do prefer a dark chocolate over a milk chocolate with any reds.

Last edited:
I am not a huge fan of Champagne and chocolate pairings. I did read somewhere that Champagne produced for export to the states is generally sweeter, so maybe with the sweeter champagnes the pairing is more comfortable. That said, I like my champagne perfectly, and I never enjoy either chocolate or the champagne too much together. Now, that said a nice spumante DOES work for me. Muscats work for me with very dark chocolates well, but anything lighter and I feel like I am on a sugar high and other flavours in the mix are lost.

kitchenelf said:
Banfi Rosa Regale - it's a very deep pink, Italian, sparkling dessert wine and is FABULOUS with chocolate.
I agree with you, Elf. I think that Brachetto d'Acqui (which this is) is the best pairing with chocolate I've ever had, especially when the chocolate is flavored with a fruit, like raspberry or apricot.... ;)

kitchenelf said:

I like a red zinfandel with chocolate too. The stronger the wine the more cocoa I like. With the zin I like a 72% cacao - with a port a 52% is fine. I do prefer a dark chocolate over a milk chocolate with any reds.

How did I miss this?????? Lou and I go to a champagne tasting party at a very lovely resort in Vermont every December. For the past two years, they have had the Banfi Rosa Regale offered in the area where they are serving the desserts. It's fabulous!!!! We've enjoyed many bottles since the first taste, two years ago.

The last time I paired wine & chocolate was for dinner one night when I was single. A 3 level box of Godiva's and a 1997 Chappelet Cab.:huh:

Back
Top Bottom