"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 10-30-2015, 12:48 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Chocolate Chip Cheesecake

A big problem. The holidays are coming up again. Every year I make the following for just my Grandson.

Eagle Brand® Chocolate Chip Cheesecake

The recipe calls for a 9" spring form pan. I have two of them, along with a seven inch one. This kid knows this is strictly for him for his birthday and Christmas combined. As a result, he refuses to share even a bite with anyone else. (I know, selfish little.....) He doesn't need a 9" one. I would like to make just the 7" one. Now the problem.

I suck big time when it comes to math. I become totally confused when I try to reduce this recipe each year down to a 7" one. I swear I have Dyslexia when it comes to math. I am lucky if I can do simple addition with more than two numbers.

Can anyone in DC reduce this recipe down to a 7" spring form pan for me? I will be in your debt for the rest of my life. I will even sell the blood of my first born along with bat wings and my cauldron for payment.

Thanks.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Reduce all the ingredients by one third. The results don't have to be exact. I would keep the two teaspoons of vanilla, for example.

1 cup finely crushed creme-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (about half of 14 oz. pkg.)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
10 oz Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1 teaspoon Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour

Old 10-30-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Reduce all the ingredients by one third. The results don't have to be exact. I would keep the two teaspoons of vanilla, for example.

1 cup finely crushed creme-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (about half of 14 oz. pkg.)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
10 oz Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1 teaspoon Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
Thank you. Copied and saved in my files. All through school, I would be thrilled if I got even a C in math.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Thank you. Copied and saved in my files. All through school, I would be thrilled if I got even a C in math.
I forgot. I have all of the blood of my first born, a bat wing, eye of a newt and my cauldron ready to send for payment. I am forever in debt to you for doing the math for me.

It is a family joke. Math and meatloaf are definitely not my strong points. Thank you so much.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

You're welcome I'll just take the cauldron. I can use it next time I make clam chowder Please tell your son he can keep his blood. But I appreciate the offer
Old 10-31-2015, 02:09 AM   #6
Master Chef

I really enjoyed the request and exchange. Kudo's to both of you.

Had it been me, I would have cut a third out of the original pie for the wedge to share, to make the point to grandson. Sharing is a good life lesson.
BTW, the recipe sound fabulous.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:52 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Had it been me, I would have cut a third out of the original pie for the wedge to share, to make the point to grandson. Sharing is a good life lesson.
Grandson is in his early 30's If he hasn't learned to share by now, he never will. He gets the chocolate chip cheesecake. His sister a pineapple upside down cake, his father a pumpkin cheesecake or apple pie and mother a pile of brownies. Then at Christmas, there is the Christmas Wreath Cake.

My daughter and grandson really do not need all those calories. So I am cutting back on the amount of what they receive. In the summer, it is potato salad and Southern Fried Chicken. My daughter wants to add homemade Boston Baked Beans for the summer fare.

In the winter it is mac and cheese and any kind of hearty stew with cheese biscuits.

It seems that the older they get, the more they want to return to their childhood favorites.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:19 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

You are welcome. It is so much easier to be nice than being a bitch. I do have a strange and far out sense of humor. I try to use it as often as the situation at hand allows.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #9
Head Chef

I Have purchased mini spring form pans from walmart as I have several elderly people I bring different desserts.
I would get one of them make your regular recipe and divide it up between your 7" pan and the little one. He will still get his individual cake but so will others get a chance to have some.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You are welcome. It is so much easier to be nice than being a bitch. I do have a strange and far out sense of humor. I try to use it as often as the situation at hand allows.
Who are you calling a bitch?

Tags
cake, cheese, cheesecake, chocolate