"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 06-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
Head Chef

Charlie, what if you formed the cheese, froze it, dipped it in chocolate, then froze it again?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #12
Master Chef

I did just that, but the chocolate, like I said was too thick. I need to achieve the consistency so it is thin and pourable

Old 06-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
Head Chef

Are you using bar chocolate and not chocolate chips? Also, what cacao percentage are you using?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
Master Chef

I bought baker's chocolate in the restaurant supply store. I do not know what cacao %. But what does cacao has to do with the thicknes of the melted chocolate. I need to add msomething and I do not know what?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I bought baker's chocolate in the restaurant supply store. I do not know what cacao %. But what does cacao has to do with the thicknes of the melted chocolate. I need to add msomething and I do not know what?
The higher the cacao percentage, the more cocoa butter it has, which makes it less less viscous, ie, less thick when melted. So, the higher the percentage, the thinner it should be. Cacao percentage is the overall amount of cacao, ie, the solids and the fat. Most good quality chocolates indicate the cacao percentages on the labels. I've always had good results with Ghirardelli - try their 60% bittersweet. If you want something sweeter, try their semi-sweet.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:52 AM   #16
Master Chef

CharlieD

Hersheys makes a shell topping that comes ready to go. That might be a good option in this case.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:24 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Years ago when making dipped chocolate candies, I added paraffin(wax) to the chocolate. Can't really say that I want to eat wax, but it does work. It makes the chocolate pourable and gives it a glossy sheen.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Dang.,.edit time ran out! If you don't want to try paraffin, you could try 3T of shortening to each 16oz of chocolate and I agree use a good chocolate like Ghirardelli. I checked a couple of recipes on the web and they call for shortening. :-)
Old 06-23-2011, 05:23 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

They look tasty--and, IMO, there is no such thing as too much chocolate. Bring it on!

I too used to add wax to the chocolate coating for truffles, etc. I now use the big round disks of chocolate for coating things...I'll have to ask my friend who gave them to me what the % of cocoa is. She was a pastry chef before her MS prevented her from working anymore.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #20
Master Chef

Some recipes call for half and half aded to chocolate, unfortunately it is not available for me. The cocoa % probably was on the lable, but since this was a 5 pound bar, I broke it into smaller chunks and keep them in ziplock bags. I simply do not have the packaging. But as far as quality this is a really good chocolate.

Tags
chocolate