"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 06-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Master Chef

Chocolate for dipping.

I am making this cheese desert. It is supposed to be dipped in chocolate at the end and let it dried. The last time I made it the chocolate end up being way too thick. Not that it is a bad thing, I love chocolate, but even for me it was too much. The store bough desert that I was trying duplicate has this very thin layer of chocolate and it is yum. What I made was not good, because of chocolate. Hm, I never thought I would say “too much chocolate”, how could it be, but I guess it can. Anyway I tried to search for the recipe but did not find anything. Probably not searching for the right thing. Help me out please. This is the picture, I hope.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006[1].jpg
Views:	113
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	11261  

Old 06-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Charlie, chocolate will get thicker and make a thicker coating if it's not hot enough. Maybe you could heat it a little more before dipping. If that's not it, try melting the chocolate with a little heavy cream.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
Master Chef

It was pretty hot. How little are we talking about?
Old 06-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
Master Chef

Another trick is to add butter to the hot chocolate. This added fat will thin the chocolate, but still allow it to set up when it cools. The extra salt from the butter will make the chocolate taste richer. Or, if you don't want the extra salt, use unsalted butter.

I would add about 3 tbs. of butter to a cup of melted chocolate. But I would add them 1 tbs. at a time, and mix in completely. Then drizzle a little of the chocolate onto a cold plate. Se what it's like when it sets up. Test for flavor and texture. Add more butter until it is what you want it to be.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Looking at the picture, it looks like you poured chocolate into the muffin tin then added the ice cream, chilled it and removed it to serve. So the bottom of the muffin is the top of the dessert.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Master Chef

Yes, I did added butter and I did use muffin form. It is not ice cream it is cheese.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Then isn't the thickness of the chocolate because you put too much into the muffin cups.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
Master Chef

Not really. I did 3 by hand and 3 in the mold. All came out with too much chocolate. It was just not thin, it was like a a sour cream consistency. And would not spread.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
Master Chef

Try using foil muffin cups and painting the chocolate on the inside of them using a pastry brush. Then set them in the muffin tin to firm up prior to adding the cheese filling. This should give you better control over the thickness of the coating. The foil cup should peel off once you chill the finished product.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
Master Chef

Thanks. I don't think it would give me result I want. If the chocolate will set first and then I fill in the cheese it would be cheese filed cup. What I really am trying to achive is have chocolate coverd cheese. Ths store bought one is ectualy rectangular and covered from all the sides.

Tags
chocolate