"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 02-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

One more suggestion. Make the cake the day ahead and do a crumbcoat (use the same icing between layers). Then add ganache on his b-day. Give it an hour or two to set up.

Making the cake the day before will allow the flavors to deepen and also lighten your work load. And... we want to know how it works out :)

Old 02-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Is it acceptable to grab a handful of warm cake and a spatula full of ganache and just alternate eating them...yes, that is chocolate behind my ears...

Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Is it acceptable to grab a handful of warm cake and a spatula full of ganache and just alternate eating them...yes, that is chocolate behind my ears...
Yes. Just do it while you are alone. And that chocolate behind your ear? It is a new perfume product you are testing for Hershey, should anyone ask.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Yes. Just do it while you are alone. And that chocolate behind your ear? It is a new perfume product you are testing for Hershey, should anyone ask.
I call it a chocolate patch...trying to quit...
Old 02-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Baked that Hershey's Special Dark cake today. IT IS AWESOME! I had to level it so I took that opportunity to test taste it. YUMMY! I think hubby may get a little frisky when he sinks his teeth into this. Also making a Chocolate Mousse Cake for one layer, with Chocolate Buttercream frosting as the crumb coating for both and between layers. Tomorrow I will top it with the ganache. I AM READY TO CELEBRATE WITH SOME CHOCOLATE! !! This 2 layer 14" inch cake is going to be Amazing:-) I just couldn't stop with one cake. Even though I do believe now - 2 cakes later - that the Hershey cake is going to be THE cake of choice. Great advice guys:-))
Old 02-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyAngel View Post
Baked that Hershey's Special Dark cake today. IT IS AWESOME! I had to level it so I took that opportunity to test taste it. YUMMY! I think hubby may get a little frisky when he sinks his teeth into this. Also making a Chocolate Mousse Cake for one layer, with Chocolate Buttercream frosting as the crumb coating for both and between layers. Tomorrow I will top it with the ganache. I AM READY TO CELEBRATE WITH SOME CHOCOLATE! !! This 2 layer 14" inch cake is going to be Amazing:-) I just couldn't stop with one cake. Even though I do believe now - 2 cakes later - that the Hershey cake is going to be THE cake of choice. Great advice guys:-))
So glad it worked for you. And good luck with that frisky husband. Let us know what happened in nine months.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #17
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyAngel View Post
This 2 layer 14" inch cake is going to be Amazing:-) I just couldn't stop with one cake. Even though I do believe now - 2 cakes later - that the Hershey cake is going to be THE cake of choice. Great advice guys:-))
The cake is 14 inches across? Holy cow. You may need to double the ganache recipe...
Old 02-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Yeah, I'm prepared to double that ganache recipe. I think I'm more excited than him about his birthday. He's a twin and his twin has the same taste for cake so I wanted this cake to be big & special for both of them since his brother isn't married & their mother isn't very able to go all out anymore.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

What a lucky couple of guys!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:53 AM   #20
Senior Cook

The cake was fantastic. The ganache was equally fantastic. Everyone loved it. The twin asked for half the cake to take home which I was glad to give because that cake was huge and I did not spare even half a calorie in the making of it - thought if we tried to eat all that ...we might die. Yeah, I might have gotten lucky tonight but I had to work third shift instead. Ahh, the joys of Nursing. Thanks again.

Tags
None