"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 11-22-2004, 02:25 PM   #11
Everymom

HOLY COW! That baby could take a while to make! I want to know who the adventurous soul was who came up with THAT one.

Old 11-22-2004, 03:04 PM   #12
Master Chef

It was featured awhile ago on the Food Network. It's from the Trellis Restaurant, Williamsburg, VA. I can't imagine what they charge per slice!

Old 11-22-2004, 03:51 PM   #13
Everymom

I dunno either, but for THAT I might be willing to break out the Visa! YUM.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:20 PM   #14
Head Chef

OMG, PA!!! I'm thinking, hands down, that recipe of yours is DEFINATELY the biggest kiss of death so far!!!! EGADS!!!

Geez, that looks so darned indescribably delicious!!!

(Copying...pasting...)
Old 11-22-2004, 04:28 PM   #15
Master Chef

Yes, it's a doozie!

In fact, I may treat myself to taking a day off sometime so I can just focus and devote my day to making it (and then eating it!). I'll have to be sure DH is traveling then so I don't have to share! :D
Old 11-22-2004, 04:36 PM   #16
Senior Cook

This is excellent and easy! *The baking time takes 10 - 15 minutes longer than originally indicated, and I've noted this in the directions. "Similar to a flourless cake, this one contains only a small amount of flour, which results in an incredibly rich, fudgelike dessert."

BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE CAKE

Ingredients
8 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used bittersweet)
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces

4 large eggs, separated
2/3 cup sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour (*one reviewer used 1 1/2 tablespoons for an even fudgier consistency)
Powdered sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 F. (300 F for dark pans). Line bottom of 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 2-inch-high sides with waxed paper. (I used parchment paper). Butter sides of pan and paper. Dust pan with flour. (I dusted with cocoa powder). Melt chocolate and butter in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring until smooth. Cool slightly.

Whisk yolks and sugar in large bowl until pale yellow. Mix in flour, then chocolate mixture. Using electric mixer, beat whites in another bowl until stiff but not dry. Fold into chocolate mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached, about 25 minutes. (*baking time takes about 35 - 40 minutes). Cool completely in pan on rack. Run small sharp knife around sides of pan to loosen cake. Turn cake out onto platter and cool. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover with cake dome and let stand at room temperature.) Sift powered sugar over cake and serve.

Serves 8.
Bon App├ętit, May 1991
Terry Gibralter: Sixteenth Arrondissement, Paris
Old 11-22-2004, 04:38 PM   #17
Senior Cook

A fantastic cake! I did not make the white frosting, so I can't review it, but I'm sure it holds up to the quality of the cake. Instead, I increased the amounts for the delicious chocolate filling (ganache), and used it to both fill and frost the cake. In addition, I kept this as a two-layer cake instead of splitting the layers in half.

DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE WITH FLUFFY WHITE FROSTING

CAKE:
2 1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 3/4 c. cake flour ( I used 3 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch plus enough unbleached all-purpose flour to equal 1 3/4 cups, sifted several times)
1 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa
2 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 large whole eggs
1 large egg yolk
1 Tbsp vanilla
1/2 c.(1 stick) plus 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 c. buttermilk ( I used 1 1/2 Tbsp white vinegar plus enough milk to equal 1 1/2 cups, then let it stand 10 minutes - can also use lemon juice instead of vinegar.
3/4 c. strongly brewed coffee ( I used espresso)

RICH CHOCOLATE FILLING:
9 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 c. heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla

FLUFFY WHITE FROSTING:
5 large egg whites
1 3/4 c. granulated sugar
1/3 c. water
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 tsp. vanilla

Make cake:
1) Preheat oven to 350 F. (325 F for dark pans). Butter and flour bottoms and sides of two 9-inch round cake pans. *NOTE: I suggest using parchment paper - the cakes are so moist, they stick to the pans like glue!
2) In a large mixing bowl, sift together sugar, flour, cocoa, soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3) In a medium mixing bowl, whisk whole eggs and yolk together until combined. Whisk in vanilla and melted butter. Whisk in buttermilk and coffee. Pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Scrape batter into pans, dividing equally.
4) Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until edges of cake pull away from side and toothpick comes out clean. Cool cakes on wire racks for 20 minutes. Invert cakes onto racks to cool completely.

Make filling:
1) Place chocolate in a medium bowl. In medium saucepan, heat cream until it comes to a gentle boil. Pour hot cream over chopped chocolate. Allow to stand for 5 minutes, to allow chocolate to melt. Stir mixture until smooth and chocolate completely melted. Stir in vanilla.
2) Set bowl containing chocolate mixture into a larger bowl of ice water and stir mixture constantly for about 5 minutes, or until it is a spreadable consistency. Remove bowl of filling from ice water and set aside until ready to fill cake.

Make frosting:
1) In large deep bowl, combine egg whites, sugar, water, and cream of tartar. With hand-held mixer, beat until foamy, about 1 minute.
2) Place bowl over saucepan of simmering water, making sure that bottom of bowl does not touch the water. Beat constantly at low speed until mixture reaches 160F, about 7 minutes. Remove bowl from heat, add vanilla, and beat frosting at high speed until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.

Assemble cake:
1) Cut cake layers in half horizontally to make 4 layers total. Place one layer cut side up on serving plate and scrape generous 1/2 c. chocolate filling onto it. Spread filling evenly over layer. Repeat 2 times, then top with last cake layer.
2) Using offset spatula, spread frosting first on sides then over cake, in "dramatic swirls". Serve immediately or refrigerate and bring to room temperature before serving.

Yield: 10 - 12 servings

From March 2002, Chocolatier

Medium difficulty
Preparation: 2 hours, plus baking and cooling
Old 11-22-2004, 04:40 PM   #18
Senior Cook

This is one of the best desserts I've ever eaten! Rich, luscious, creamy, deep chocolatey, and beautiful looking!

"There's a hint of cinnamon in the chocolate filling and the whipped cream topping."

MEXICAN CHOCOLATE ICEBOX CAKE

60 sponge-cake-type ladyfingers (from three 3-ounce packages - use the ones that are split in half) (*Note: Some reviewers brushed the ladyfingers with liqueur, such as Kahlua, or with strong coffee - I prefer them plain)
2 3/4 cups chilled whipping cream (heavy cream)
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (*Note: I suggest using a mild cinnamon)
1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated (I use 1 1/2 - 2 ounces)

Line bottom of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with ladyfingers. Line sides of pan with ladyfingers, standing ladyfingers side by side and rounded side out.

Stir 3/4 cup whipping cream, unsweetened chocolate and 1/4 cup sugar in heavy small saucepan over low heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. (I use double boiler). Remove saucepan from heat and cool to room temperature.

Using electric mixer, beat 1 cup powdered sugar, butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla in large bowl until blended. Beat in cooled chocolate mixture.

(Tip: Chill clean dry beaters and a second large mixer bowl in freezer until cold before whipping cream.)
Combine remaining 2 cups cream, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla and cinnamon in chilled large mixer bowl. Using clean dry beaters, beat until firm peaks form.

Fold half of whipped cream mixture into chocolate mixture.
Spread half of chocolate filling in ladyfinger-lined pan. Top with layer of ladyfingers, then remaining chocolate filling.

Pipe or spread remaining whipped cream mixture over filling. Sprinkle with grated semisweet chocolate.

Refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours. (Note: 3 hours is not long enough for the cake to set - I recommend chilling overnight). (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.)
Remove pan sides from cake and serve. (I prefer serving at room temperature).

Serves 12.

Bon Appetit August 1999
Old 11-22-2004, 04:51 PM   #19
Everymom

And this is why I LOVE this site. You people have the most amazing recipes. My poor files are full to bursting...KEEP EM COMING!
Old 11-22-2004, 04:52 PM   #20
Head Chef

Wow, merstar! That Bittersweet Chocolate Cake....!

(copying...gaining weight...pasting...)

Tags
None