Chocolate Lovers Unite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alix said:
Audeo, are you saying if you know his IP you can hack into his recipe file? COOL!

No. I'm not nearly that knowledgeable. Only people under 14 can do things like that, so I've been told. I've got a good 30 years on them. Ah, but it's nice to dream..... ;)

After reading these posts, I think we should all get together, combine our talents, and start our own cooking school, today. ;)

Oh if life were only that simple. That school would be a wondrous thing (dreamy sigh).

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I guess I should enter a recipe in this thread as well. So here's one I think you will like. I don't think I could ever come up with anything as amazing as Audio, or AllenMI's contributions, but i'm just not the same caliber candy maker or pastry chef as they are :) . In any case, this ain't bad.

Bavarian Raspberry Cream Filled Puffs with Ganache

This desert uses fills the classic cream puff with a wonderfully modified Bavarian Cream, and combines it with a rich ganache to create a light and heavenly desert. You have to eat this one immediately to prevent the delicate puff pastry from absorbing liquid from the filling, and becoming soggy.

Bavarian Cream Ingrediants:
1 quart crushed raspberries
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. unflavored gelatin
3 tbs. water
3 tbs. boiling water
1 tbs. lemon juice
2 cups whipped cream

Combine the raspberries and sugar. Let sit for 30 minutes.
Add the gelatin and cold water together. Stir in the boiling water and stir until dissolved. Add the lemon juice. Add this mixture to the berries. Cool until the gelatin is nearly set. Then lightly fold in the whipped cream. Chill up to 12 hours.

Puff Shell Ingrediants:
1 cup Sifted AP Flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tbs. sugar
1 cup milk
1/3 cup butter
4 large eggs, brought to room temperature

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Sift together the flour, salt, and sugar. Set aside.
Place the milk and butter into a heavy sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add the other ingrediants all at once. Quickly stir to combine, until a smooth ball is formed that no longer sticks to the pan. Remove from the heat and let sit for about two minutes.

Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix with a wooden spoon until completely incorporated. The finished dough should be shiny and form sturdy peaks when raised with a spoon.

Using two tablespoons, scoop out a heaping tablespoon of the dough with one and place onto a greased cookie sheet by scraping the dough free with the other. Leave room for expansion. Place the cookie sheet into the hot oven and bake for ten minutes. Turn down the heat to 350 and cook for an additional 25 minutes or so. Remove and let cook, in a calm area. When completely cooled, carefully cut the tops off and remove any soft portions from the interior. Save the tops.

Ganache Ingrediants:
1 lb. fine chocolate (dark or sweet as you prefer), grated,
slivered, or as chips
6 tbs. unsalted sweet-cream butter

Slowly melt the butter in a double boiler over low heat. Add the butter an melt into the chocolate. Stir constantly to avoid separation of the fat and chocolate. Stir until the butter and chocolate are combined. Keep warm enough to remain liquid.

The Final Product:
Fill the puffs with the Bavarian raspberry cream and cover with the saved tops. Set on a wire rack, over a wax-paper lined cookie sheet. Ladle the ganache over the top to coat. Place in the refrigerator and let cool completely before serving.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Dying for Chocolate
Scout's Brownies:

1 cup unsalted butter
3 1/2 oz best quality unsweetened chocolate
3 tbs dark unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips

Melt butter with unsweetened chocolate in top of double boiler, stirring occasionally. Cool
Sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt in bowl and set aside. Beat eggs until creamy, then gradually add sugar, beating constantly. Add vanilla and cooled chocolate-butter mixture. Stir in sifted dry ingredients until combined.
Spread batter in greased 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle chips over surface. Bake 350 30-35 min till center no longer jiggles when shaken. Cool on wire rack and cut into 32 pieces.

Milk Chocolate-Malt Brownies (Betty Crocker)

1 package 11.5 oz milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup margarine or butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup instant malted milk
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup malted milk balls coarsely chopped

Grease 13x9x2 inch rectangular pan. Heat milk chocolate chips and margarine in a 3 quart saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently until melted. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Beat in sugar, vanilla and eggs. Stir in flour, malted milk, baking powder and salt.
Spread batter in pan. Sprinkle with malted milk balls. Bake 350F 30 to 35 min till toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely, slice into small portioned brownies, makes about 48.

And yet another one from my files. I just ran a count, and have almost 500 dessert recipes on my HDD.

We serve something very close to this at work. It's flourless, so people with a gluten allergy can eat this extremely rich, chocolatey dessert.

Chocolate Decadence Fudge Cake

8.75 oz dark chocolate
1 stick + 5 T butter
¾ c raw sugar
-or- light brown sugar
6 eggs, separated
2 c finely ground almonds
For the sauce:
1 1/3 c cream
12.25 oz dark chocolate
whipped cream and shaved or chopped chocolate to garnish

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Melt the chocolate and butter together, and stir until smooth. Stir in the sugar and egg yolks, then the ground almonds. The mixture will be very thick and sticky. Beat the egg whites to stiff peak stage. Stir one quarter of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it, then carefully, add the remaining egg whites. Stir until just combined. Spoon into a 9 ½” springform cake pan that has been greased and the bottom lined with parchment. Bake the cake for 1 hour. It will not rise very much and will appear cracked and shrunken on top. Don’t panic! This is normal. Cool the cake in the pan. Carefully remove from the pan and peel off the paper when cold.
For the sauce: place the cream and chocolate in a saucepan and stir with a wire whisk over very gentle heat, until the chocolate melts and is well combined with the cream. Cool for 30 minutes, then spread over the top and drizzle down the sides of the cake, then chill the cake for 2 hours. Serve in small wedges (this cake is very rich), garnished with whipped cream and shaved chocolate.

Alix, thanks for the reminder about our resident teenage chefs extraordinairre!!! (I shall PM a couple right off!!!)

Here's a long-time family favorite, an oldie from the 70s and the original from Pillsbury...

Tunnel of Fudge Cake

Cake:

1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups butter
6 eggs
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 1/4 cups AP flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt or 10-inch tube pan.

In a large bowl, combine sugar and butter; beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

Gradually add 2 cups confectioners' sugar; blend well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. By hand, fold in flour and remaining ingredients until well blended. Spoon batter into greased and floured pan; spread evenly. Bake for 58 to 62 minutes. (I always fall apart in laughter when I read that baking time range!!!) Cool upright in pan on wire rack for 1 hour; invert onto serving plate. Cool completely.

Glaze

3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons milk

In a small bowl, blend the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and enough milk for desired drizzling consistency. Spoon over top of cake, allowing some to run down sides. Store tightly covered.

Hey, I have the Tunnel of Fudge recipe, but never attempted it.

Here's yet another one out of my files. I haven't made it, but it fits the season now.

Chocolate Christmas Log
Yields: 12 – 14 servings

5 eggs, separated
3 T cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
1 c powdered sugar
¼ t cream of tartar
For the chocolate ganache frosting:
1 ¼ c heavy cream
12 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 T brandy or chocolate liqueur, optional
For the Cranberry Sauce:
1# fresh or frozen cranberries, rinsed and picked over
1 c seedless raspberry preserve, melted
½ c sugar, or more to taste
For the White Chocolate Cream filling:
7 oz quality white chocolate, chopped
2 c heavy cream
2 T brandy or chocolate flavored liqueur, optional

To make the ganache frosting, in a saucepan over medium heat, bring the cream to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate all at once, stirring constantly until smooth. Stir in the liqueur, if using, then strain into a bowl and cool, chill until needed. To make the sauce, in a food processor, process the cranberries until liquid. Press through a sieve into a bowl, discarding the pulp. Stir in the raspberry preserve and sugar to taste. If sauce it too thick, add a little water. For the cake, preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a 15 ½ x 10 ½” baking sheet (jelly roll), line with nonstick parchment, overlapping the edge by 1”. Whisk the egg yolks until light and creamy. Whisk in the cocoa and half the sugar. In a large bowl whisk the egg whites until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and whisk until soft peaks form. Add the remaining sugar, 2 T at a time, whisking well after each addition, until stiff and glossy. Fold the yolk mixture into the whites. Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 15 – 20 minutes. Lay a clean dish towel on a work surface and cover with nonstick parchment, dust with cocoa or sugar. Immediately turn the cake out onto the paper. Peel off the lining paper. Trim the edges and, starting from one narrow end, roll up the cake together with the paper ad towel. Leave to cool. To make the filling, in a saucepan gently heat the white chocolate with ½ c cream until melted, stirring frequently. Strain into a bowl and cool. Whisk the remaining cream and brandy until soft peaks form. Stir a spoonful of cream into the white chocolate mixture to lighten it, then fold in the remaining cream. Unroll the cake and spread with chocolate cream. Starting from the same end, re-roll the cake without the paper. Cut off ¼ of the roll at an angle. Place against the long piece to resemble a branch. Allow the frosting to soften at room temperature. With an electric mixer, beat the ganache until light in color and texture, about 30 – 45 seconds. It should be a soft spreading consistency, do not over-beat as it will become stiff and grainy. Using a palette knife (metal spatula), spread the ganache over the cake. Using a fork, mark to resemble tree bark. Then dust with powdered sugar and serve with the cranberry sauce.

Found this under "Similar Threads" when I copied Rainee's new recipe and it's such a great thread I wanted to bump it for some of the other new members to enjoy.

Thanks Spice, I had sort of forgotten about this one. Man there are a lot of good recipes in this thread. Yummmmm!

There sure are!!! I"ll be busy baking for a while. THe hard part will be deciding which one to try first. If my post start being sticky it will be the chocolate on my fingers. :LOL:

Ok guys. Ken's birthday party is next weekend, and I am going to be swamped with party prep.

Today is rainy and cold so I want to get a jump on my baking. My question refers to the first recipe in this thread. I want to know whether you all think that the cake part of the recipe would freeze well? I want to make it today and then freeze it until next Friday, take it out and do the rest of the prep on it Saturday morning.

Opinions?

It'll freeze just fine, Alix. Make sure, though, when you get it out to ice, etc., that you keep it completely wrapped up until it's fully thawed. If you get it out before you go to bed, it should be fine by the next morning (thus eliminating any temptation to unwrap it too soon!):)

Thanks PA and jkath. I am going to start in baking today and tomorrow. I will remember the keep it wrapped thing, I am sometimes tempted to just shave a bit off the top to level the cake and before I know it WHAM! Half the cake is gone. Heeheehee.

Now I have to find my lemon poppyseed cake recipe, I can't find it anywhere darn it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom