"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 03-08-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Chocolate Souffles with White Chocolate Rum Sauce

This recipe is from one of my favorites, Cooking Light. While I haven't tried it yet, it looked so irresistable, I wanted to share it with the great bakers here (waving at PA :-])

Butter-flavored cooking spray
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups skim milk
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup Dutch process or unsweetened cocoa
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 ounce semisweet chocolate
3 large egg yolks
6 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/3 cup sugar
1 (3-ounce) bar premium white chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons skim milk
1 tablespoon white rum

Preheat oven to 400º.

Coat 8 (6-ounce) ramekins with cooking spray; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar. Place on a baking sheet; set aside.

Combine 1 1/2 cups milk, 3/4 cup sugar, cocoa, flour, and salt in a large saucepan; cook 5 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a whisk until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Cook an additional 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add semisweet chocolate, stirring until melted.

Gradually add chocolate mixture to egg yolks, stirring well. Return mixture to pan. Cook 2 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly. Spoon mixture into a large bowl; cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.

Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed of a mixer until foamy. Add 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold one-fourth of egg white mixture into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture. Spoon batter evenly into prepared ramekins. Bake soufflés at 400º for 20 minutes or until puffy and set.

Combine white chocolate and 2 tablespoons milk in a small saucepan; cook over low heat until chocolate melts. Remove from heat; stir in rum. Cut into each soufflé with a spoon; pour 1 tablespoon sauce over each soufflé. Serve immediately.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
Master Chef

Oh, wow! Thanks again Mish!:) I get Cooking Light but somehow missed or don't remember this one. It's being copied and pasted immediately and made soon!

Old 03-08-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
Executive Chef

You're very welcome, PA. This recipe goes back to approx. 1997. Let me know how you like it. Thinking it would look lovely surrounded by strawberries. I'm not quite the baker, but it does look pretty simple. I'ved never worked with cream of tartar before, but cooking is fun when I have the time to experiment.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
Master Chef

Cream of tartar is easy to work with. Here it's just used to help the egg whites form peaks.

I've only gotten Cooking Light for the last couple of years which explains why I hadn't seen these. I have so many recipes clipped and saved from the last two years I can't imagine how many I'd have piled up if I had 8 years worth!
Old 03-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
Cream of tartar is easy to work with. Here it's just used to help the egg whites form peaks.

I've only gotten Cooking Light for the last couple of years which explains why I hadn't seen these. I have so many recipes clipped and saved from the last two years I can't imagine how many I'd have piled up if I had 8 years worth!
Thank you again PA. Have seen cream of tartar in hundreds of recipes as a thickening agent (even slow cooker recipes). I'll have to look around the market & see if it's in the spice section? (duh) - or post a question. I have a soft spot in my cooking heart when it comes to souffles -- such a delicate labor of love. So many recipes...so little time to cook. I'm going thru/loading all my disks/cooking programs that date back awhile. I will try to post the very bestest of the best. If I made every recipe I've ever saved, I'd be immortal.

Oh, &, raspberries would be another favorite accompanyment (sp?).
Old 03-08-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
Everymom

Dear God, thank you for putting such smart and wonderful people on this site...thank you also for the amazing recipes these people post!

Mish, once again...copying...pasting! I am actually drooling! Oh, and I vote raspberries too!
Old 03-08-2005, 03:28 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Cooking Light, one of our favorites. I have every issue of CL.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:47 PM   #8
Master Chef

Here's a little explanation of cream of tartar that I found:

CREAM OF TARTAR

Tartaric acid is a brownish-red acid powder (potassium bitartrate) that is precipitated onto the walls of casks used to age wine. When refined into a white acid powder, ‘cream of tartar’, it is used in baking.

Cream of tartar is an acid powder. Combined with baking SODA it makes baking POWDER.

Cream of tartar is also used to give a creamier texture to sugary things like candy and frosting and to stabilize and increase the volume of beaten egg whites.

Cream of tartar can be used to clean brass and copper cookware.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Dear God, thank you for putting such smart and wonderful people on this site...thank you also for the amazing recipes these people post!

Mish, once again...copying...pasting! I am actually drooling! Oh, and I vote raspberries too!
Thank U Alix!!! What would I do without my oreo stash while reading thru these great recipes. lol

Rainee, wanted to mention, read thru lots n lots of your posts...fan here. Remember the days when cooking light had the recipe makeovers? Particularly if you had a favorite restaurant recipe...they'd convert it. Back then the craze was low fat (which I'm sorta still into) rather than the carb thing.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:03 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Yep, remember that. CL is what got me started growing herbs.

Tags
None