"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 11-28-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Christmas desserts

What are your favorite desserts for the holidays? Besides all the cookie baking, what are other famous desserts you make for Christmas?

We make buñuelos for Christmas. It's a crispy sweetended, flour tortilla fried in oil and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. buñuelos

Old 11-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Aside from Christmas cookies, my faves for the holidays are Sweet Potato and Pecan pies, and Banana Pudding. but then, I could eat those any time of year. They're just better suited to the wintertime.

I also like to make and eat apple and pear tarts, pies and crumbles, accompanied by home made ice cream of various flavors.

for Hanukkah next week, I'll be making Rugulach, even tho the "tradition" is supposed to be jelly donuts (called Sufganiyot0.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
MMM let' s see.

Mince pie was my first fave since I was little.
Tiramisu is always there lately.
Chocolate Amaretto Mousse
Old 11-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Buche de Noel
Old 11-28-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Outside of a few candies & Cookies....Pecan Pie!! Peach Cobbler (made from real peaches not the cardboard kind!) Delmonico Nut Cake (Sorta like an Italian Cream Cake) Little fried pies made from peach, and apple. Banana pudding with lots of vanilla wafers...I gotta stop...I'm gaing weight just thinking about it.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I like savory things best, but my kids and grand kids really wolf down anything sweet..They love my cream puffs so that is always made this time of year, they love a big puff pastry shell with a custard and fresh berries, my mom's banana split cake, and Italian rum cake...You can usually find one or another of these here, but with this gang, anything goes as long as there is sugar, cream ,butter they never say no..
kadesma
Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 PM   #7
Executive Chef

other than having a Christmas pudding (served with choice of custard, icecream or cream, or combination of all) and maybe some mince pies, we don't bother. There is usually so much food that people don't want sweet things and if they do then there are so many chocolates and sweets floating around, that they will suffice any sweet cravings. If there is a big group a fresh fruit salad and a pavlova will be added to the mix.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Many years ago - too many years ago to think - I used to host a Christmas sweetshop party. I served NOTHING but cookies, candies, bar desserts, etc. The variety usually included 35 to 40 different things. I started baking at the end of October, freezing the goodies that could be frozen, and baked continuously until the time of the party. All in all, I usually ended up with somewhere between 3,500 to 4,000 pieces. As I look back, I'm amazed that I did all that because I had 3 small children at home at the time. Isn't the energy of youth grand?

I set a large table, almost the size of ping-pong table, with a holiday cloth and served all the treats on as many different kinds of Christmas plates, dishes, platters, etc. I could get my hands on.

The guests were warned/cautioned ahead of time that the party was strictly sweets, sweets, sweets and I made sure to have a big supply of take-home bags available so they could take home those things they didn't have the chance or tummy to eat.

It was colorful and fun and everyone seemed to have a great time. The house was decorated to the max and Christmas music was played softly in the background. It really was Christmassy.

I hosted this party for years and had a great time doing it. There's no way I would tackle it now.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Like Bilby..I am a Downunderite, but just over a bit, across a ditch.

Fruit salad is always lovely on a hot summers day, so we have tropical fruit salad at Xmas usually. Lots of fresh pineapple, mango, papaya, passionfruit, melon, strawberries, kiwifruit, etc. And most often I do a Pavlova Roulade with fresh berries and cream inside. Trifle is almost obligatory and this year I am doing Nigella's Chocolate Cherry version. Even though fresh cherries are about, I will be using jarred Morello's, cant beat the flavour!
Old 11-29-2007, 02:24 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynan View Post
Trifle is almost obligatory and this year I am doing Nigella's Chocolate Cherry version. Even though fresh cherries are about, I will be using jarred Morello's, cant beat the flavour!
Lynan, did they just show that episode on tv in NZ as well?? It was on here two Wednesdays ago!!

Tags
None