"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Old 12-28-2006, 12:30 PM   #11
Sous Chef
philso and urmaniac13, Thank you, thank you.....I have made copy of the Christmas Stollen for future use. I made the Cantuccini recipe you gave me...Buon. Molto Buon. Thanks again.

Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:01 PM   #12
Sous Chef
Hello Philso and Happy New Year

That chestnut idea sounds like an interesting variation. I will certainly keep it in mind, for future stollens, if i find some candied chestnuts. I presume u bought them, and did not candy them, yourself?

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #13
Senior Cook
happy new year to you too, mel.

actually, someone had just given me a box, which is why i didn't bother making marzipan. i think i like it better than using the traditional marzipan.

if for some reason you need or want to make them, making the marzipan is much faster. grind the blanched almonds. bring about an equal amount of sugar (don't quote me on the ratio;look it up) with some water to the softball stage. knead the almond mass and sugar together. probably around an hour's work.

to candy chestnuts, cook in a simple syrup (maybe with a little vanilla bean) until the chestnuts are soft. let them cool in the syrup and sit for a day or two. after that, you repeat the following process: take out the chestnuts and reduce the syrup by cooking maybe 5 or 10 minutes. return the chestnuts and let sit another day or two. i think this would be repeated until the sugar gets to about the soft ball stage.

if i were to try a lazier approach, i might cook the chestnuts in the syrup until soft, remove them, bring the sugar to a bit less than the softball stage, return the chestnuts, and just let them sit for a couple of weeks. if you're into home canning, putting them up in a very heavy syrup and letting them sit for a couple of months might give you a nice product, too.

thinking about it, i bet you could just try making a chestnut marzipan, just substituting the chestnuts for the almonds. i might even give this a try sometime.
let me make sure that wine's ok before i use it.
philso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:14 AM   #14
Sous Chef
Hello Philso

I have not looked at this thread, for around a week, with Christmas being over.

Thanks very much for the marzipan and candied chestnut making instructions. I am going to use one of them, for my next Christmas stollen. I would like to make my own marzipan, because I can put raw cane sugar in it, which I like to use as much as possible, instead of white sugar.

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote