Christmas goodies...willing to share tnt recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
here is a recipe that i got from a friend a couple years ago and it is really good.

1 cup shorting
1/2 tea. soda
2 cups sugar
2 teas. vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 teas. salt
1 cup sour cream
4 teas. baking powder
4 1/2 cups flour

Cream shortening, and sugar together, beat in eggs, vanilla, and sour cream.
in separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix into the wet ingredients.

roll nice and thick, cut with your favorite cutters and bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes.

Hey, that was fast! Thanks, bc. Copied & put in a doc to try next month. Or maybe next week with Halloween colors.

Umm...there are those who claim Danes aren't true Scandinavians...no offense, TaxLady! And, cardamon is key to most of these recipes...except for lefse! I better figure out what is going on with my digital camera because I probably won't be able to explain everything in words...now I want to make krumkake!

It isn't people in Scandinavia making that kind of claims.

In Australia we usually make a sweet treat called White Christmas, and it's usually always a hit with children.

1/3 cup mixed dried fruit
1 cup powdered milk
1/2 cup icing sugar mixture
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 1/2 cups puffed rice cereal
125g copha
90g white chocolate, roughly chopped

Oh my.

Where do you get milk chocolate baking bars? I've never heard of those.

They don't have to specify "baking" bars - you can use any milk chocolate. I use Dove milk chocolate, and Dove bars are sold in most U.S. supermarkets. Can you find them in Canada? Valrhona also makes a great milk chocolate, which you can buy in bars or bulk, available in specialty markets, such as Whole Foods, etc., and also online. In general, I usually go for bittersweet chocolate, but I prefer milk chocolate with caramel.

Last edited:
They don't have to specify "baking" bars - just any milk chocolate bar. I use Dove milk chocolate, and Dove bars are sold in most U.S. supermarkets. Can you find them in Canada? Valrhona also makes a great milk chocolate, which you can buy in bars or bulk, available in specialty markets, such as Whole Foods, etc., and also online. In general, I usually go for bittersweet chocolate, but I prefer milk chocolate with caramel.

I haven't noticed if we get Dove chocolate, but we get lots of different, great chocolates here. We even get a Hershey's chocolate that is better than the one sold in the U.S. :rolleyes:

Old-fashioned Ginger Cookies (Lebkucken)

I have a wonderful Lebkucken recipe. Give me some time to dig it out.

This recipe is one a friend of mine gave me. She got it from a Mennonite cookbook from PA. I'm sorry, I don't have the name of the cookbook. The dough freezes very well so if you don't want to make all the cookies, you can freeze the dough to make later.

2 c melted shortening (I use Crisco)
3 cups molasses (I use Fancy)
1 c sugar
8-10 c flour
1 tsp salt
2 T soda
1 T ginger (I use 1/2 T dry, 1/2 T freshly grated)
1 T cinnamon
1-1/2 c buttermilk

(I often add cardamon, ground pepper, and grated lemon or orange zest)

1. Heat the molasses and sugar together.
2. When sugar is dissolved, add shortening until melted.
3. Let cool to lukewarm.
4. Combine flour, salt, soda, spices. (I did out the sifter and sift these together)
5. Alternately add sifted dry ingredients with buttermilk to the sugar-molasses-shortening mixture.
6. Stir until a medium-soft dough forms.
7. Work with hands for about 5 minutes.
8. Chill for several hours (I divide it into about four logs and wrap with waxed paper or cling wrap)
9. Roll out on lightly floured surface. If you want chewy, soft cookies, roll about 1/4". If you want crisper ginger cookies, about 1/8".
10. Cut with cookie cutters (round, Xmas shapes)
11. Glaze with 1 beaten egg.
12. Place 1" apart on greased cookie sheet.
13. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes (check at 18 minutes) (if you rolled thinner, bake for about 15-18 minutes--check after 12).

Makes 8 doz LARGE (2" round) cookies. I store mine in an airtight container--I like mine crisp.

These are on my list for the weekend--any adjustments that I might make re: thickness and time, I will post.

Do any of you make Haystacks?

They hardly quality as a recipe but, they have been in our Christmas cookie trays since I was a kid.

They are a nice item for young bakers to get started on.

1 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup peanut butter (homogenized)
1/2 cup peanuts (I usually use broken walnuts)
2 cups chow mein noodles (you can use Cheerios, Rice Crispies etc.)

Melt butterscotch chips and peanut butter together in a double boiler or in a microwave on medium power, and mix together. Add nuts and chow mein noodles, stir until coated. Drop by spoonfuls on waxed paper and let harden. You need to work quickly to get all of them formed before the mixture begins to harden.

When I was in the service my baby sis used to make these for me. They were a hit in the barracks!

Back
Top Bottom