"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 02-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Hi Rohan,
Those look interesting ideas. My only concern is that they may be repetitive. for example, what is the difference between apple strudel on the one hand and pear and cranberry on the other? As a consequence, you are not really presenting 2 ideas but two variations of the same. So, my advice would be to give one as the complete basic strudel recipe and that would be for apple strudel with the introduction that this is the classic Austrian strudel and give the pear and cranberry filling as an alternative to the basic Apple Strudel. At the end of the day, the method is the same so all the reader would have to do is subsititute the pear filling at stage XX in the recipe.
Presenting the dishes in this way shows that you appreciate/know that the basic dish is a STRUDEL, and that different filling may be used. To be honest, this approach would get more marks from me if I was marking your project.

By the same token, what is the difference between chocolate peanut butter cups and chocolate raspberry cups?

Let me know if you would like some ideas for desserts. I`m more than willing to give you ideas and advise and for you to work on the recipe.

My advise to you would be to write a list of the different TYPES of desserts and sweets that you could include on the left hand side of a piece of paper and then put ideas against the type on the other side of the paper. This is the type of thing I mean.

Type Example
Batter puddings Apple fritter, Pancakes
Cold Fruit Caramellised Oranges,
Custards Bread & butter pudding, Creme caramel
Puff pastry Strawberry Mille Feuille
Choux pastry Profiteroles
Strudel pastry Apple Strudel
Egg based Hot, chocolate souffle
Hot fruit puds, Baked apples, Eve`s pudding
Grain puddings Rice pudding, semolina pudding
Steamed puds Ginger pud., Delaware pud.,
No cook desserts Fruit salad, Cranachan (Scottish)

I hope what I`ve typed comes out the same way it`s looking at the moment on screen.

Don`t discount putting in a recipe for something as simple as a fruit salad. There could be a lot to talk about in the introduction such as why one puts cut apple and pear in acidulated water (water with lemon juice added) to stop browning, role of fruit salad in a weight reducing diets, etc.

Cranachan is a Scottish dessert. For this you need fine or pinhead oatmeal which is lightly toasted and allowed to cool. Some honey is mixed with whisky and this is folded in to whipped double cream and the cold toasted oatmeal added. The final ingredient is fresh raspberries, although you could use previously frozen but defrosted. You then layer the raspberries with the cream in individual glass dishes, finishing with a layer of the cream mix and topping with a raspberry. Glass dishes or tumblers or wine goblets should be used so that one can see the separate layers.

A question for you Rohan, how many portions will each of your recipes serve - i would suggest that you need to be consistent here. Whilst this is a graduation project, any cookery book is written for an audience and people neeed to know how many portions each recipe makes. In the better cookery books, each recipe makes the same number of portions - usually 4 or 6.

Anyway, I do hope my thought help you in refining your work. Keep in touch, and as i`ve said before, I`m more than willing to assist in whatever way I can.

All the best,
Archiduc

Old 02-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'd say fruit salad sometimes needs to mentioned. Even though it is simple there can be many variations. Various fruits together with either some type of "dressing" or even dressed by taking a big ol' sweet pink grapefruit and squeezing it all over the fruit - is worth mentioning IMHO.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to SpiritWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SpiritWolf
What about the great old Australian favourite, well 2 actually, but the first one is our favourite PAVLOVA, just google for that recipe, or I could post it for you. The other favourite dessert is a SHERRY TRIFLE, I dont think its an Aussie dish, maybe English, but boy it tastes soooo good, and there are many,many,different varieties, you can add anything to it, just ask if you need me to post a couple of different suggestions. I hope this helps a bit, but please let me know if you need some help or advice, Im here most days.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWolf View Post
Im here most days.
...or most nights

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:52 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Hi! I'm Simona and I'm Italian! I'd rather suggest you to add one tipical Italian cake, such as Tiramisł, Panna cotta, or Berlingozzo, or Biscuits with almonds. You can find more ideas into my website, I've a section dedicated to cakes and biscuits!
I can find my URL into my profile or ask!
Thanx!
Great idea for the cookbook!!!
Simona
Old 02-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiduc View Post
5. Desserts/puddigns can be sub-divided into anumber of sections. For example:
- Batter > pancakes
- Pastry > choux - profiteroles
shortcrust - lemon tart
puff pastry - mille feuilles
- Milk based > rice pudding
-Custard based >Creme Caramel
- Fruit based > hot > baked apples
cold > summer fruit pudding
-Steamed puddings> gingerbread pudding
- etc., etc., etc.,
wow, no disrespect meant but..........she's in high school. not sure that even a lot of adults would know what a choux paste is or profiteroles...short crust/puff pastry, let alone mille feuilles. baby steps baby steps baby steps...she can get into these whoppers when she's an advanced cook. I'm thinking more on the lines of Peg Brackens cookbook.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to rmalik23
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
wow, no disrespect meant but..........she's in high school. not sure that even a lot of adults would know what a choux paste is or profiteroles...short crust/puff pastry, let alone mille feuilles. baby steps baby steps baby steps...she can get into these whoppers when she's an advanced cook. I'm thinking more on the lines of Peg Brackens cookbook.
Well, first of all, I am a "he" haha. Secondly, like I said, I do have experience in cooking. I work very well with puff pastry and cakes. One thing I used to do was, make 2 bowl size white cakes, cut them out into the shape of an animal, and put frosting all over. It was extremely simple, yet it looked very nice. But, I do want a little challenge and want to make more than the overdone cookies and apple pie. No offense to anyone.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Hi Rohan,
How`s it going - saw you were on line! I liked Simona`s idea of including a classic italian dessert in the cookery book - Pannacotta is very popular on al the UK food shows at the moment. You gave a good answer to message 16 - I knew that you would either know what I meant or would have the maturity to ask or research!!!!!!
Regards,
Archiduc
Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to rmalik23
Thank you, I have decided to use all of the recipes, that were suggested to me. I'll will make a list and put it up here, sometime in the next week or so.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:28 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Hi Rohan,
It`s good to see that your work is progressing.

I`m looking forward to see the list of dishes that you intend to include. I hope you won`t mind if I make some comments on them (constructive ones I promise) and perhaps suggest ideas for tips and substitutions.

All the best,
Archiduc

Tags
None