Could someone help me interpret this recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canada... which is why I think I can't find Muscovado sugar (nobody's even heard of it). I've found countless other posts by Canadians asking where to get it with no good answers.

- Steven

Steven, Muscovado sugar is a dark brown sugar.

Yes, I know thanks. Just not available here. From the Internet I discovered its not just a dark brown sugar though... its an unrefined natural sugar with its entire molasses and moisture content preserved. Most commercial brown sugar is refined to white sugar (molasses and moisture removed) and then molasses is added back in to get the desired "darkness". The difference? Apparently muscovado has a completely different flavour but, more importantly, its baking characteristics are different. It is more stable at high temperatures. I'm gathering that gives you a result that is more like having raw sugar in your dish (a bit course?). Sort of the opposite end of the spectrum from caster sugar (which dissolves instantly and completely). I won't know though... I couldn't find any :)

Next time I'm going to the US I'll have some delivered to my P.O. Box from Amazon.

- Steven

Thanks for the image Zereh... that completes the picture.

Graham cracker mystery solved! Thanks to you guys, I'm comfortable in my 16 square guess.

- Steven

Bit of a progress report:

I'm done with the cake - its doing its final cooling and chilling, and I'll do the sauce and topping tomorrow prior to serving.

The instructions state:
Set the cheesecake pan on a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil and fold up the sides around it. Place the cake pan in a large roasting pan. Pour hot tap water into the roasting pan until the water is about halfway up the sides of the cheesecake pan; the foil will keep the water from seeping into the cheesecake.

Nuh-uh, Mr. Flay! Not for me at least. When I took the cake out, there was about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of water at the bottom of the foil :( I'm guessing from evaporation and condensation. And it did seep into the cake, so hopefully its not too bad. The edges of the crust are soggy, but the bottom looks OK for the most part (my springform pan has a glass bottom so I can see).

I've made a lot of simple cheesecakes and I've never bothered to do the water-bath thing. It was my (mis)understanding that this prevented cracking. I usually have small cracks, but this time I ended up with a rather large fissure! Its right down the middle and at the center its about half way down the depth of the cake. I don't really care, but it makes me question what I did wrong.

- Steven

It turned out pretty darned good in the end!

I substituted pecans instead of the walnuts and reduced apple juice instead of the brandy. Everything else it exactly as the recipe called.

I was pleasantly surprised at the "oomph" the orange jest gave. I didn't expect it to come through so bold but it was a good thing!

The crust was really good with the nuts. I've never done that before but I think I always will from now on!

While I was confused with certain aspects of the recipe, I'm happy with the result and want to thank you all again for the assist!

- Steven

ps. I got excited and took the photos before remembering the pecans! Oh well.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 271
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 263
Oh right... I was once told that when photographing cakes, one should ALWAYS have a glam close-up of the cut cake on a single plate. This is the best I got for y'all :)

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 256
Oh right... I was once told that when photographing cakes, one should ALWAYS have a glam close-up of the cut cake on a single plate. This is the best I got for y'all :)

Your second vocation needs to be photography! Great shot of the single slice. :yum::yum:

I will have to remember the nuts trick in the crust. One of my complaints for many moons is that the crust has never had any real flavor. Any crust. :chef::chef:

A small independent store? Or a chain? I'm some 4100km (2500mi) away :) But if its a chain, maybe its something I have here that I haven't checked.

- Steven

A small independent store? Or a chain? I'm some 4100km (2500mi) away :) But if its a chain, maybe its something I have here that I haven't checked.

- Steven
I "think" it was one of the foodie stores...I don't get to the Market often, but maybe LP might know--she's quite the baker and lives out west. BTW, amazing looking cheese cake--obviously a success judging from the single-slice photo!

Steven, I so enjoyed reading this post! Your way of writing and explaining is very clear, entertaining. I wish I had a neighbour like you, nearby....to chat with. Glad you joined!

and congrats on a good-lookin' cake!

Its that time of year again! This year's Mother's Day entry features lemon curd swirled in the batter, topped with more curd and some candied lemons and a few fresh raspberries. Something I've never tried before was the up-the-sides crust and I'm really happy with how that turned out.

Just like last year's, I really like the appearance but I'm left wanting with the flavor. In this case, the lemon was just too much. I think I went a bit heavy on the zest in the curd, and a bit heavy on the curd in and on the cake. It hits you like a sack of... well, lemons. I thought raspberries would do more than just add colour... I figured they might balance it off a bit. But to be honest, when I ate a berry, the combination really didn't do anything for me at all. It kind of ruined both the lemon and the raspberry... two flavors I really like on their own. Everyone was polite and said they really liked it, but nobody went for seconds :) Myself included. I'm the first to admit this wasn't much more than a visual "win". Too sweet and too sour all at the same time.

Until next year!

- Steven

Attachments

• 2013_1.jpg
    2013_1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 2013_2.jpg
    2013_2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 2013_3.jpg
    2013_3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 186
Oh Steven, that looks ever so beautiful. Sorry to hear it didn't meet your taste criteria though.

I really prefer blueberries with lemon, and with lots of sweetener.

Better luck next time!

but you deserve kudos for presentation.

Thanks! As I was eating it, I was wondering if blueberries would have worked better.

My belt-line says otherwise :) My wallet too... these cheesecakes are expensive! Especially considering usually only half or less gets eaten.

My belt-line says otherwise :) My wallet too... these cheesecakes are expensive! Especially considering usually only half or less gets eaten.

I know I can freeze regular cheesecakes. Not sure how the dressed ones will do in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom