Could someone help me interpret this recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good advice, I'm sure. But for me, the freezer is much like a filing cabinet. Once it goes in... it never comes out. I have "best intentions" sitting in there from probably as far back as 2007 (when we got it). Lol. The only things that make it out of the freezer alive are typical "frozen foods" (convenience meals like pizza, microwave dinners, etc. Or, of course, ice creams, etc)

Welcome back Steve. Your wife is one lucky lady if you make her cheesecake.:chef:

I make a cream cheese-and-strawberry pie in a 9-inch pie plate. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs, 3 Tbsp. sugar and 1/3 cup butter (or margarine). Good luck!

Once again, Mother's Day approaches!

Year 1 I asked for help understanding the recipe
Year 2 I didn't ask for anything and just presented the results

This year I'm back asking for advice. But I'm not following a recipe this time. The theme this year is "Piña colada", heavy on the colada :)

My wife loves coconut. Myself, I'm not a fan... so I really don't know that much about baking with it.

I want the cheesecake filling to be the main source of coconut flavor. My guess is that I should use coconut extract. But maybe I should also use coconut cream? Would it make any sense to substitute coconut sugar in place of granulated white sugar? Would that even make a taste difference (for all I know, coconut sugar tastes just like regular sugar).

Sure I can just top it with shredded coconut if I have to. Then I KNOW the coconut flavor will be there. But I kinda wanted to reserve the top just for the pineapple.

For me, its the crust I'm excited about this year. While I was thinking about the tropical flavors of coconut and pineapple I started to think that macadamia nuts would probably go well too so I'm doing a white chocolate and macadamia nut cookie base. I hope its as tasty as I'm envisioning.

Advice is welcome!

Cheers.

- Steven

Things kinda went sideways on this one :) I didn't stick to the plan very well. After reading some articles on what makes a good crumb base, I decided the macadamia nut cookie base wouldn't fit the bill. I nixed the white chocolate entirely and I put the coconut into the crust. I also played around with candy for the first time.

Anyway, I think its a step back from the past two years, but the effort was there!

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

That is one cool cake! What are the roundish blobs on top? Macademia nuts?

Yep... and they are delicious!

Macadamia nuts dipped in cooked sugar (300 degrees... whatever you call that... crack, ball, beats me) and left on the side of a counter to drip/form its tail.

We haven't eaten the cake yet, but all the sugar started to "melt" in the humidity so we ate the candied nuts and threw out the spun sugar. Man were those nuts good!

Back
Top Bottom