"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 05-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Canada... which is why I think I can't find Muscovado sugar (nobody's even heard of it). I've found countless other posts by Canadians asking where to get it with no good answers.

- Steven
Steven, Muscovado sugar is a dark brown sugar.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #22
Cook

Yes, I know thanks. Just not available here. From the Internet I discovered its not just a dark brown sugar though... its an unrefined natural sugar with its entire molasses and moisture content preserved. Most commercial brown sugar is refined to white sugar (molasses and moisture removed) and then molasses is added back in to get the desired "darkness". The difference? Apparently muscovado has a completely different flavour but, more importantly, its baking characteristics are different. It is more stable at high temperatures. I'm gathering that gives you a result that is more like having raw sugar in your dish (a bit course?). Sort of the opposite end of the spectrum from caster sugar (which dissolves instantly and completely). I won't know though... I couldn't find any :)

Next time I'm going to the US I'll have some delivered to my P.O. Box from Amazon.

- Steven

Old 05-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
Cook

Thanks for the image Zereh... that completes the picture.

Graham cracker mystery solved! Thanks to you guys, I'm comfortable in my 16 square guess.

- Steven
Old 05-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #24
Cook

Bit of a progress report:

I'm done with the cake - its doing its final cooling and chilling, and I'll do the sauce and topping tomorrow prior to serving.

The instructions state:
Quote:
Set the cheesecake pan on a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil and fold up the sides around it. Place the cake pan in a large roasting pan. Pour hot tap water into the roasting pan until the water is about halfway up the sides of the cheesecake pan; the foil will keep the water from seeping into the cheesecake.
Nuh-uh, Mr. Flay! Not for me at least. When I took the cake out, there was about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of water at the bottom of the foil :( I'm guessing from evaporation and condensation. And it did seep into the cake, so hopefully its not too bad. The edges of the crust are soggy, but the bottom looks OK for the most part (my springform pan has a glass bottom so I can see).

I've made a lot of simple cheesecakes and I've never bothered to do the water-bath thing. It was my (mis)understanding that this prevented cracking. I usually have small cracks, but this time I ended up with a rather large fissure! Its right down the middle and at the center its about half way down the depth of the cake. I don't really care, but it makes me question what I did wrong.

- Steven
Old 05-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

So I take it you are through with Mr. Flay and his recipes.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #26
Cook

Hardly, its one of the best recipes I've had the pleasure of following :)
Old 05-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #27
Cook

It turned out pretty darned good in the end!

I substituted pecans instead of the walnuts and reduced apple juice instead of the brandy. Everything else it exactly as the recipe called.

I was pleasantly surprised at the "oomph" the orange jest gave. I didn't expect it to come through so bold but it was a good thing!

The crust was really good with the nuts. I've never done that before but I think I always will from now on!

While I was confused with certain aspects of the recipe, I'm happy with the result and want to thank you all again for the assist!

- Steven

ps. I got excited and took the photos before remembering the pecans! Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	13704   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	13705  

Old 05-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #28
Cook

Oh right... I was once told that when photographing cakes, one should ALWAYS have a glam close-up of the cut cake on a single plate. This is the best I got for y'all :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	13707  
Old 05-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #29
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Oh right... I was once told that when photographing cakes, one should ALWAYS have a glam close-up of the cut cake on a single plate. This is the best I got for y'all :)
Perfect pic! LOL!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Your second vocation needs to be photography! Great shot of the single slice.

I will have to remember the nuts trick in the crust. One of my complaints for many moons is that the crust has never had any real flavor. Any crust.

Tags
muscovado, other, recipe

Could someone help me interpret this recipe? Mother's Day! I'm a new father and our son owe's his mother a cheesecake. He gave her gestational diabetes so she couldn't eat any sugar before he was born, and he has a milk protein so she couldn't eat any milk (transfer to breast milk) after he was born... put those two together, and we figure he owes her a cheesecake every mother's day for the rest of her life! :rofl: Anyway... she likes my cheesecake just fine, but I thought I'd search and see if I could come up with something different. [URL="http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/caramel-apple-cheesecake-recipe/index.html"]I settled on this recipe[/URL] for caramel apple cheesecake. I'm not much of a baker, so I have some questions I hope someone can answer: [LIST=1] [*]The vanilla bean. I *think* I scrape the seeds to use in the cake and keep the shell/husk (whatever you call it) and put that in the apple topping mix for flavor, much like a bay leaf in a soup. So I'm not expecting it to dissolve or anything, right? It doesn't mention the bean again so I just wanted to be sure. [*]Graham crackers. It calls for 8 "whole" crackers. I bought some from Wal-mart yesterday and the box has 8 "sheets" that are divided into two major sections with a big score-mark... each of those are then divided into 4 smaller squares (about 1.5" sq). So I'm confused if its 8 small squares (that seems too little) or 8 whole sheets (which is the whole box!)... or perhaps 8 of the half sheets? Or maybe I should just go to a different store where they have a major brand like Honeymade and it will be more obvious? [*]It calls for "muscovado" sugar. I understand that's a high-molasses content sugar. I've been to every store in my small town and nobody's even heard of it. Is "Dark brown" good enough? I've also found "Demerara-style" and "Turbinado". [*]Similarly, "light brown" sugar doesn't exist here. "golden yellow" does. Same thing? I've also read Turbinado described as "light" [*]Apple brandy... OK to just use more apple juice? Neither of us drink at all, so its not like I have some laying around, and the liquor store's cheapest is $35. [/LIST] Thanks, I appreciate the timely input. - Steven ps. Ha. Just an anecdote: When I tried to register to post this message, it said my name was taken. Curious, I searched for posts by my username and found out it was me! From a decade ago. Lol, I was just starting on the Internet then and obviously I found it important to track down a forum to discuss something I bought :lol: ([URL="http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f8/best-cutting-boards-76.html"]here's my post[/URL]. The item I bought/linked to is no longer there. I do still have and use it though!) 3 stars 1 reviews