"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 05-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #41
Cook

Good advice, I'm sure. But for me, the freezer is much like a filing cabinet. Once it goes in... it never comes out. I have "best intentions" sitting in there from probably as far back as 2007 (when we got it). Lol. The only things that make it out of the freezer alive are typical "frozen foods" (convenience meals like pizza, microwave dinners, etc. Or, of course, ice creams, etc)

Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #42
Master Chef

Welcome back Steve. Your wife is one lucky lady if you make her cheesecake.

I make a cream cheese-and-strawberry pie in a 9-inch pie plate. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs, 3 Tbsp. sugar and 1/3 cup butter (or margarine). Good luck!

Old 05-05-2014, 03:39 AM   #43
Cook

Once again, Mother's Day approaches!

Year 1 I asked for help understanding the recipe
Year 2 I didn't ask for anything and just presented the results

This year I'm back asking for advice. But I'm not following a recipe this time. The theme this year is "Piņa colada", heavy on the colada :)

My wife loves coconut. Myself, I'm not a fan... so I really don't know that much about baking with it.

I want the cheesecake filling to be the main source of coconut flavor. My guess is that I should use coconut extract. But maybe I should also use coconut cream? Would it make any sense to substitute coconut sugar in place of granulated white sugar? Would that even make a taste difference (for all I know, coconut sugar tastes just like regular sugar).

Sure I can just top it with shredded coconut if I have to. Then I KNOW the coconut flavor will be there. But I kinda wanted to reserve the top just for the pineapple.

For me, its the crust I'm excited about this year. While I was thinking about the tropical flavors of coconut and pineapple I started to think that macadamia nuts would probably go well too so I'm doing a white chocolate and macadamia nut cookie base. I hope its as tasty as I'm envisioning.

Advice is welcome!

Cheers.

- Steven
Old 05-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #44
Cook

Things kinda went sideways on this one :) I didn't stick to the plan very well. After reading some articles on what makes a good crumb base, I decided the macadamia nut cookie base wouldn't fit the bill. I nixed the white chocolate entirely and I put the coconut into the crust. I also played around with candy for the first time.

Anyway, I think its a step back from the past two years, but the effort was there!

Old 05-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

That is one cool cake! What are the roundish blobs on top? Macademia nuts?
Old 05-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #46
Cook

Yep... and they are delicious!

Macadamia nuts dipped in cooked sugar (300 degrees... whatever you call that... crack, ball, beats me) and left on the side of a counter to drip/form its tail.

We haven't eaten the cake yet, but all the sugar started to "melt" in the humidity so we ate the candied nuts and threw out the spun sugar. Man were those nuts good!

Tags
muscovado, other, recipe

Could someone help me interpret this recipe? Mother's Day! I'm a new father and our son owe's his mother a cheesecake. He gave her gestational diabetes so she couldn't eat any sugar before he was born, and he has a milk protein so she couldn't eat any milk (transfer to breast milk) after he was born... put those two together, and we figure he owes her a cheesecake every mother's day for the rest of her life! :rofl: Anyway... she likes my cheesecake just fine, but I thought I'd search and see if I could come up with something different. [URL="http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/caramel-apple-cheesecake-recipe/index.html"]I settled on this recipe[/URL] for caramel apple cheesecake. I'm not much of a baker, so I have some questions I hope someone can answer: [LIST=1] [*]The vanilla bean. I *think* I scrape the seeds to use in the cake and keep the shell/husk (whatever you call it) and put that in the apple topping mix for flavor, much like a bay leaf in a soup. So I'm not expecting it to dissolve or anything, right? It doesn't mention the bean again so I just wanted to be sure. [*]Graham crackers. It calls for 8 "whole" crackers. I bought some from Wal-mart yesterday and the box has 8 "sheets" that are divided into two major sections with a big score-mark... each of those are then divided into 4 smaller squares (about 1.5" sq). So I'm confused if its 8 small squares (that seems too little) or 8 whole sheets (which is the whole box!)... or perhaps 8 of the half sheets? Or maybe I should just go to a different store where they have a major brand like Honeymade and it will be more obvious? [*]It calls for "muscovado" sugar. I understand that's a high-molasses content sugar. I've been to every store in my small town and nobody's even heard of it. Is "Dark brown" good enough? I've also found "Demerara-style" and "Turbinado". [*]Similarly, "light brown" sugar doesn't exist here. "golden yellow" does. Same thing? I've also read Turbinado described as "light" [*]Apple brandy... OK to just use more apple juice? Neither of us drink at all, so its not like I have some laying around, and the liquor store's cheapest is $35. [/LIST] Thanks, I appreciate the timely input. - Steven ps. Ha. Just an anecdote: When I tried to register to post this message, it said my name was taken. Curious, I searched for posts by my username and found out it was me! From a decade ago. Lol, I was just starting on the Internet then and obviously I found it important to track down a forum to discuss something I bought :lol: ([URL="http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f8/best-cutting-boards-76.html"]here's my post[/URL]. The item I bought/linked to is no longer there. I do still have and use it though!) 3 stars 1 reviews