"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 05-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Cook

Could someone help me interpret this recipe?

Mother's Day! I'm a new father and our son owe's his mother a cheesecake. He gave her gestational diabetes so she couldn't eat any sugar before he was born, and he has a milk protein so she couldn't eat any milk (transfer to breast milk) after he was born... put those two together, and we figure he owes her a cheesecake every mother's day for the rest of her life!

Anyway... she likes my cheesecake just fine, but I thought I'd search and see if I could come up with something different. I settled on this recipe for caramel apple cheesecake. I'm not much of a baker, so I have some questions I hope someone can answer:
  1. The vanilla bean. I *think* I scrape the seeds to use in the cake and keep the shell/husk (whatever you call it) and put that in the apple topping mix for flavor, much like a bay leaf in a soup. So I'm not expecting it to dissolve or anything, right? It doesn't mention the bean again so I just wanted to be sure.
  2. Graham crackers. It calls for 8 "whole" crackers. I bought some from Wal-mart yesterday and the box has 8 "sheets" that are divided into two major sections with a big score-mark... each of those are then divided into 4 smaller squares (about 1.5" sq). So I'm confused if its 8 small squares (that seems too little) or 8 whole sheets (which is the whole box!)... or perhaps 8 of the half sheets? Or maybe I should just go to a different store where they have a major brand like Honeymade and it will be more obvious?
  3. It calls for "muscovado" sugar. I understand that's a high-molasses content sugar. I've been to every store in my small town and nobody's even heard of it. Is "Dark brown" good enough? I've also found "Demerara-style" and "Turbinado".
  4. Similarly, "light brown" sugar doesn't exist here. "golden yellow" does. Same thing? I've also read Turbinado described as "light"
  5. Apple brandy... OK to just use more apple juice? Neither of us drink at all, so its not like I have some laying around, and the liquor store's cheapest is $35.

Thanks, I appreciate the timely input.

- Steven

ps. Ha. Just an anecdote: When I tried to register to post this message, it said my name was taken. Curious, I searched for posts by my username and found out it was me! From a decade ago. Lol, I was just starting on the Internet then and obviously I found it important to track down a forum to discuss something I bought (here's my post. The item I bought/linked to is no longer there. I do still have and use it though!)

Old 05-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

1. Take the vanilla bean shell out after cooking and toss it.
2. 8 whole crackers means 8 of the whole sheets before you do any subdividing.
3. Dark brown sugar is fine
4. Don't know if golden=light
5. Yes. To intensify the apple flavor, boil down some cider to concentrate flavor then measure the amount you want.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Wine Guy

This recipe seems needlessly complicated, with regard to the light brown and muscovado sugars. I would use whatever brown sugar you have available for both and call it a day.

I agree with Andy on everything else.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Cook

Thanks.

One more Q I forgot:

"Heavy cream". Another item not available here. I have:

Light cream - 6%
Half and Half - 10%
Coffee cream - 18%
Whipping cream - 33%

I'm guessing coffee cream?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Wine Guy

Whipping cream is what you want.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

If whipping cream is the highest percentage available, use that. Heavy cream is 36% or higher. Its counterpart in heavy whipping cream.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Cook

Thanks! Glad I asked.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
1. Take the vanilla bean shell out after cooking and toss it.
2. 8 whole crackers means 8 of the whole sheets before you do any subdividing.
3. Dark brown sugar is fine
4. Don't know if golden=light
5. Yes. To intensify the apple flavor, boil down some cider to concentrate flavor then measure the amount you want.
Andy, FYI. Apple Cider and Apple Juice are two different animals. Cider is fermented juice and cloudy looking. Juice is strained, straight from the apple and bottled. Clear looking. But he can boil down the apple juice til almost syrupy. You can get drunk on Apple Cider. Just ask Grandpa!

You should know considering you planted an apple tree instead of a money tree for grandson.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

s_mack,

Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk has a recipe for a Chocolate Chip Cheesecake that is to die for. You might want to take a look at it for next year. It is simply easy. My daughter loves Pumpkin Cheese Cake, but my Grandson and his father fight over the Chocolate Chip one. Daughter gets a 9" cheesecake, grandson and father get a 12" C.C. one every Christmas.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
Cook

Sounds like I've got a plan for next year then ;)

Thanks.

Tags
muscovado, other, recipe

Could someone help me interpret this recipe? Mother's Day! I'm a new father and our son owe's his mother a cheesecake. He gave her gestational diabetes so she couldn't eat any sugar before he was born, and he has a milk protein so she couldn't eat any milk (transfer to breast milk) after he was born... put those two together, and we figure he owes her a cheesecake every mother's day for the rest of her life! :rofl: Anyway... she likes my cheesecake just fine, but I thought I'd search and see if I could come up with something different. [URL="http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/caramel-apple-cheesecake-recipe/index.html"]I settled on this recipe[/URL] for caramel apple cheesecake. I'm not much of a baker, so I have some questions I hope someone can answer: [LIST=1] [*]The vanilla bean. I *think* I scrape the seeds to use in the cake and keep the shell/husk (whatever you call it) and put that in the apple topping mix for flavor, much like a bay leaf in a soup. So I'm not expecting it to dissolve or anything, right? It doesn't mention the bean again so I just wanted to be sure. [*]Graham crackers. It calls for 8 "whole" crackers. I bought some from Wal-mart yesterday and the box has 8 "sheets" that are divided into two major sections with a big score-mark... each of those are then divided into 4 smaller squares (about 1.5" sq). So I'm confused if its 8 small squares (that seems too little) or 8 whole sheets (which is the whole box!)... or perhaps 8 of the half sheets? Or maybe I should just go to a different store where they have a major brand like Honeymade and it will be more obvious? [*]It calls for "muscovado" sugar. I understand that's a high-molasses content sugar. I've been to every store in my small town and nobody's even heard of it. Is "Dark brown" good enough? I've also found "Demerara-style" and "Turbinado". [*]Similarly, "light brown" sugar doesn't exist here. "golden yellow" does. Same thing? I've also read Turbinado described as "light" [*]Apple brandy... OK to just use more apple juice? Neither of us drink at all, so its not like I have some laying around, and the liquor store's cheapest is $35. [/LIST] Thanks, I appreciate the timely input. - Steven ps. Ha. Just an anecdote: When I tried to register to post this message, it said my name was taken. Curious, I searched for posts by my username and found out it was me! From a decade ago. Lol, I was just starting on the Internet then and obviously I found it important to track down a forum to discuss something I bought :lol: ([URL="http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f8/best-cutting-boards-76.html"]here's my post[/URL]. The item I bought/linked to is no longer there. I do still have and use it though!) 3 stars 1 reviews