"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 05-30-2006, 05:39 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I'm with Michael on this one, if I was serving it to guests I would only serve it in individual dishes.

But as a creme brulee eater, I would take it anyway it came :P.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:21 AM   #12
Head Chef

I have made egg custard in large trays and I am sure you can do the same with creme brulee. It may not be the most perfect looking but can still work with a little ingenuity (in my humble opinion ).

Make it by quadrupling the recipe (I am a big winger when it comes to bumping up recipes and have never been disappointed with the results).

To serve I would do the following (I have done this with custard with great results).

Cut into medium squares or rectangles (think first about how much you would like the serving size to be prior to cutting it). Now sprinkle sugar on it and torch it (do this after you cut but it's still in the tray). Now slowly lift it with a flat spatula and add it to the plate. Add some fresh raspberries on top of it and on the plate and garnish with mint or shaving of white chocolate or anything else you like. Any imperfections of cutting and moving can be covered by positioning the raspberries correctly.

I make my custard this way. I don't burn the sugar but instead make a glaze with orange juice, orange zest and sugar and drizzle that over the top of the custard peice and place some fresh mandarin oranges on it and serve.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

How big the brulee is made, hmm, do you have a pan big enough to act as a water bath, brulees are best made with water caming 3/4 of the way up the side of the dish the brulee is baked in, you will have to lower the temp of the over significantly to ensure that the sides do not curdle, how do you unmould it??? will the size of the creme brulee be able to support itself???

I think these questions need to be answered before jumping into this idea, though it is a great idea, let us know if it works, would love to give it a go if it does though.

As a thought though, add more yolks to help stabailize the product. Or, look into doing a pannacotta, set in a big mould with toffee sauce down the bottom would work as a good substitute.

Tags
None