CWS' Chocolate Mousse
There doesn't seem to be a mousse thread...so this doesn't get lost, here's my chocolate mousse recipe.
I used to make this chocolate mousse every Christmas. Everyone raved about it. It is very light and ever so chocolatey. I have made it with white chocolate and various % chocolates, but this is the base recipe I used starting in 1985:
3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1/3 c fine sugar (I would put granulated sugar in the FP to make it finer)
3 oz bittersweet chocolate
1 oz bitter chocolate
1-1/2 tsp gelatin, dissolved according to package directions
2 c + 2-1/2 T whipped cream
1-2 T milk chocolate flakes
2 T icing sugar
4 almond paste macaroons
1/2 oz (or more) dark rum or brandy
bittersweet, dark chocolate, or milk chocolate flakes
1. Combine egg yolks, whole egg, and fine sugar. Beat until lemony yellow and fluffy.
2. Melt bittersweet chocolate and bitter chocolate over water in a double-boiler.
3. Combine melted chocolate with dissolved gelatin.
4. Temper egg mixture with a bit of the melted chocolate and gelatin.
5. Fold in whipped cream.
6. Spread 1/2 of mixture in the bottom of dessert glasses or a glass bowl.
7. Top with crushed macaroons.
8. Sprinkle with rum or brandy.
9. Top with remaining mousse mixture.
10. Chill at least 2 hours.
11. Garnish with chocolate flakes, icing sugar, fresh mint or berries.