Dairy free, maybe even sugar free too, cake frosting??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
long respond made short- though it was kinda nice to have been thought as vague with the Pure Sugar, because I got a few more ideas this way/some discussion, but what I meant was ADDED sugar, like fruits are acceptable (except oranges for some reason). Technically, per doctor's recommendations, I shouldn't have any even in the cake itself. When I make them myself, I can aim for this ideal, but right now I'm on box mixes which likely have some sugar. But so HONEY is actually the ideal substitute. Speaking of honey, I just went to look at my bottle and it has completely "crystalized"? (just Googled this concept). I would have snapped a pic, but no time.

TODAY's QUESTION: Can I really heat this (bottled honey) over a water bath on the stove?? I suppose so. I did this with a plastic bottle of coconut oil once. But it was for my hair use, no't for eating.

Anyway, that's the honey, er sugar clarification.

The DAIRY part. Yes, I need to cut it completely. Sadly, even yogurt (unless it's pure something or something. I don't even remember to be honest. Husband might. But we have yet to find this) is off limits, to follow this strictly. It's the inflammation aspect of it, because yogurt was so amazing for my tummy. Anyway, um...yeah. Thing that answers things. I have to run, but I'll comment more thoroughly next time.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Hi, mcrx. DH and I took a course in beekeeping last winter and started two beehives last spring. Yes, you can heat the crystallized honey and it will be fine to use, although it will recrystallize when it cools, so only heat as much as you need. You can put it in a microwave-safe dish and heat it there, or in a water bath.

But honey is not very different from refined white sugar. In fact, all sugars (white, brown, agave, maple syrup, etc.) are chemically very similar and are metabolized the same way by the body. So using honey is still adding sugar to your diet. And box mixes definitely contain sugar.

Btw, I have a couple of chronic health issues so I have spent a lot of time with doctors. I suggest you bring a notebook with you to your appointments to take notes on what the doctor tells you. It can definitely be hard to remember everything later :)

Last edited:
Hi, mcrx. DH and I took a course in beekeeping last winter and started two beehives last spring. Yes, you can heat the crystallized honey and it will be fine to use, although it will recrystallize when it cools, so only heat as much as you need. You can put it in a microwave-safe dish and heat it there, or in a water bath.

But honey is not very different from refined white sugar. In fact, all sugars (white, brown, agave, maple syrup, etc.) are chemically very similar and are metabolized the same way by the body. So using honey is still adding sugar to your diet. And box mixes definitely contain sugar.

Btw, I have a couple of chronic health issues so I have spent a lot of time with doctors. I suggest you bring a notebook with you to your appointments to take notes on what the doctor tells you. It can definitely be hard to remember everything later :)

Hey! Awesome!
Yes, I understand it is sugar too, but it has other health benefits as opposed to ?regular? sugar. Anyway, it is definitely doctor approved supplement. And yes, I do have notes for most of this, just somehow I missed the yogurt one. :P

wait. just asked. It's yogurt with "live active cultures" (so, homemade kind?) I'll have to look into this more/ask around.

Hey! Awesome!
Yes, I understand it is sugar too, but it has other health benefits as opposed to ?regular? sugar. Anyway, it is definitely doctor approved supplement.

No, it doesn't. Some people think it can inoculate against allergies, but good quality studies show that isn't true. Because of its viscosity, it has been used successfully in the past as a wound covering, but that's an external use. Once it's in the stomach, it's quickly broken down into simple sugars and absorbed just like any other sweetener.

Normal doctor will tell you to drink tea or hot milk with Honey, not cold medicine.

That might soothe the sore throat temporarily, but it doesn't treat symptoms like coughing, sneezing, headache and congestion. It doesn't cure the cold, so I don't consider it a "health benefit." And I'm pretty sure that if you ask any MD or DO what to do for a cold, they will tell you to take an over-the-counter cold remedy.

Last edited:
Honey is used to treat bedsores, leg sores and burns here in Sweden, because it contains a natural antibiotic. Yes, we do normal antibiotics to but Honey has shown to be really good on sore that wont heal.

Also honey is recommend as cold remedy, since it is actually as effective as cough medicine. Here we dont use a combination of antihistamines, painkillers and mucus suppressant or softener in one drug. So no NyQuil ( it is even illegal here).

Last edited:
Honey is used to treat bedsores, leg sores and burns here in Sweden, because it contains a natural antibiotic. Yes, we do normal antibiotics to but Honey has shown to be really good on sore that wont heal.

I had a wound that wouldn't heal for about a year and none of my doctors suggested honey.

Also honey is recommend as cold remedy, since it is actually as effective as cough medicine. Here we dont use a combination of antihistamines, painkillers and mucus suppressant or softener in one drug. So no NyQuil ( it is even illegal here).

Interesting. I'd like to see some clinical studies that confirm that.

GotGarlic: It is medical grade honey, not the stuff you get out of jars. However the stuff in jars can be used on sunburned skin with good effect.

Well odd that they didnt try that. It been around for few years now, the best is the Manuka honey.

I can only find studies in Swedish, I tried google translate I be honest, it didnt translate well enough.

Last edited:
My grandfather was a bee keeper and used honey, royal jelly and bee stings for medicinal purposes often.

I just found this:

"While its food uses are infinite, most people are unaware of honey's wound care capabilities, a trait that can help an infected wound properly heal in orderly fashion. From burn wounds, bacterial infections to pressure ulcers, honey is an everyday household product that can provide numerous healing benefits. May 14, 2014

>>> Honey Can Help Wound Healing

It states - DO NOT USE REGULAR HONEY

Unsure of the reliability of the site.

Last edited:
Even the bible apparently talks about how good honey can be for curing sores and colds.
How ever you should be careful of eating red rhododendron honey, it also known as mad honey , it is gives you a high and can be overdosed.

Back
Top Bottom