Dairy free, maybe even sugar free too, cake frosting??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GotGarlic: It is medical grade honey, not the stuff you get out of jars. However the stuff in jars can be used on sunburned skin with good effect.

Well odd that they didnt try that. It been around for few years now, the best is the Manuka honey.

I can only find studies in Swedish, I tried google translate I be honest, it didnt translate well enough.

What is medical grade honey? I get mine from the hive :)

I did mention before that people used to (here, at least) use honey in the past for a wound dressing, but I find it hard to believe it's more effective than modern methods. It's certainly messier :LOL:

That might soothe the sore throat temporarily, but it doesn't treat symptoms like coughing, sneezing, headache and congestion. It doesn't cure the cold, so I don't consider it a "health benefit." And I'm pretty sure that if you ask any MD or DO what to do for a cold, they will tell you to take an over-the-counter cold remedy.

Nothing cures the cold. Cold goes away on it's own. Rest is the most important thing for cold. Ok, here in the States who has time to rest, thus hundreds of kinds of "cold medicine" that doesn't really cure anything. Might as well take something that will make you feel better and stay in bed. Honey is just the thing.

I had a wound that wouldn't heal for about a year and none of my doctors suggested honey.

Why would you think doctors would suggest anything natural? What are the big pharmaceuticals are going to say and do about that. The first doctors that prescribes honey will be deemed a Witch doctor and taking his/hers licence away. Please. Doctors are in cochutz with medicine makers and are totally subservient to them.
What do you think our grandparents did? There was no Robitussin or Chloraseptic.

GotGarlic: if you get it directly from the hive and declared safe ( there is something that in rare cases can come along with honey) , then yes medical grade honey. Store bought honey is a little too old most often to work as good as fresh honey.

Why would you think doctors would suggest anything natural? What are the big pharmaceuticals are going to say and do about that. The first doctors that prescribes honey will be deemed a Witch doctor and taking his/hers licence away. Please. Doctors are in cochutz with medicine makers and are totally subservient to them.
What do you think our grandparents did? There was no Robitussin or Chloraseptic.

That's a little too conspiracy-theorist for me, Charlie. If something is proven to be safe and effective, doctors use it. Copper is well-known to be a good anti-bacterial (used externally; internally, it's poisonous, unless you're actually deficient which is exceedingly rare). The last time I had surgery, I was in a new wing of a hospital where the hospital gowns, the sheets and blankets and the bedside table were impregnated with copper to reduce infection. There are lots of opportunities for smart people to incorporate "natural" remedies in modern medicine - if they actually work. Most of them don't, unless they're refined and the dose standardized.

Our grandparents suffered a lot. And the average life expectancy in 1900 was about 45. So they lost limbs or died of infectious diseases where people in modern times do not. Childbirth used to be one of the most dangerous things a woman did in her lifetime; women frequently died of it because of uncontrolled bleeding or infection.

GotGarlic: if you get it directly from the hive and declared safe ( there is something that in rare cases can come along with honey) , then yes medical grade honey. Store bought honey is a little too old most often to work as good as fresh honey.

Botulism can be in honey. Is that what you mean? And honey doesn't break down. Why would it be too old?

Honey found in some ancient Egyptian tombs was found to be edible!

They advise not feeding honey to babies due to the risk of botulism.

Honey found in some ancient Egyptian tombs was found to be edible!

They advise not feeding honey to babies due to the risk of botulism.

+1. Virginia's regulations on selling homemade items require a label on honey containers that warns against giving honey to infants less than one year of age.

Because infants doesnt have an immune system the same way as older children.

Did you know our brains thinks honey is sweeter then sugar, if you have two containers with the same amount of sugar , one being honey and one being pure sugar, our brains will tell us stop munching on the honey quicker.

Hmmmmm..... why not adults too ?

An infant's immune system is not as well developed. Older children and most adults can fight it off. Fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs and honey all carry botulism spores, since it's in the ground; there has to be a certain amount of growth before it overwhelms the immune system and becomes dangerous.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom