Dairy free, maybe even sugar free too, cake frosting??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcrx

Cook
Basically looking for a dairy free/possibly sugar free cake frosting substitute, since I no longer want to eat cream cheese or pure sugar. Can anyone help?
Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by pure sugar.

You could try an old 7 minute frosting made with honey or pure maple syrup instead of sugar and water.

Personally I would just skip the frosting and make a pound cake, carrot cake, banana cake, etc... and serve it plain or with fruit as CakePoet mentioned above.

If you're okay with honey, you might want to look at some paleo options, since that diet is low(er) carb, and dairy free.

Otherwise, I've been on the ketogenic diet for over 2 years. It's all sugar free, and, although not dairy free by definition, there are quite a few adherents who don't use dairy.

This gal, Carolyn Ketchum, makes some amazing dessert recipes, and here's a link on one of her pages for dairy free recipes (not necessarily for just frosting, although some of the recipes are for cakes):

Best Low Carb Dairy Free Dessert Recipes | All Day I Dream About Food

Last edited:
I used to by vegan sugar free cupcakes (I think it was Whole Foods) that had frosting made with soy products and sugar substitute. Really couldn't tell the difference.

What little I eat with frosting, I want the full Monte! Having anything else, IMO, is worthless.:ermm:

There is a banana, peanutbutter and coco powder frosting fro cake, sadly I cant find it. But it doesnt use white sugar, just bananas for sweetness.

I make a gluten free/dairy free frosting using coconut milk. You could use coconut sugar with it as well. It won't be pure white but it will taste good. For the butter, I use Earthbound spreads. We get the one with no soy - it is palm oil and tastes great.

The OP didn't say they could not have it, just that they didn't want it. ;)
Yes, but you also stated that anything else is worthless. That's simply not true. Sugar makes me physically ill, but there are still times I want something sweet. So I've had to learn to make desserts without sugar or flour. I'm pretty picky, and I'll say that some of them taste every bit as good as their sugar-filled counterparts (admittedly, some don't). I've taken desserts to potlucks and get togethers, and most people can't tell the difference.

As far as frosting goes, I've had low carb cream cheese frosting that's excellent. I've made some killer ganache, too.

Last edited:
Basically looking for a dairy free/possibly sugar free cake frosting substitute, since I no longer want to eat cream cheese or pure sugar. Can anyone help?
Thanks!

Isn't there "pure sugar" in the cake itself?

And, likely, dairy?

:question:

Is it just cream cheese you don't want to eat? Because most frostings don't use it. But they do use other dairy products.

The cream that I make for Napoleon is usually made with milk, but it can be substituted with non-dairy creamer, I use Coffee Rich sold in frozen section of grocery store. Sugar maybe cut down, not sure by how much though. There is the recipe on the site just go into search and you will find.

The cream that I make for Napoleon is usually made with milk, but it can be substituted with non-dairy creamer, I use Coffee Rich sold in frozen section of grocery store. Sugar maybe cut down, not sure by how much though. There is the recipe on the site just go into search and you will find.

Charlie can you please post the link to your recipe.

Here is the recipe:
Napoleon.
Ingredients:
5 – Eggs
5 – cups milk (or non-dairy creamer such as Coffee Rich if milk is a problem/allergy)
5 – Tablespoons flour
5 – Tablespoons sugar
1 – Stick butter (or margarine)
1 or 2 - tablespoons vanilla
1 package of Pepperidge Farm pastry dough (Puff Pastry)(store bought)
Grated Chocolate or whip cream for decorating (optional)
Directions:
Dough. There are couple of options, depending how thick you like the baked layers to be, you can cut the defrosted dough into 6 pieces, roll it out thin and bake or bake as is. I like the dough to be thick, so I do not roll it out thin and bake as is. It is very important to poke the dough with fork all over or use pizza roller (the one with spikes). It will help with baking it evenly. Cut the ends of the baked sheets evenly; do Not discard the leftover crumbs, you can use them as a topping.
Cream. Put 4 cups of milk, 1 stick of butter, all the sugar and vanilla into a pot. Bring to a boil at medium heat. You will need to whisk or stir it periodically until it starts boiling. While the mixture is heating up take the rest of the milk (1 cup) + 5 eggs + 5 tablespoons flour mix it all together. Make sure there are no lumps. Slowly add/pour the mixture into the pot, constantly mixing. The mixture should come to a boil, turn down the heat, cook slowly until thickens, constantly stirring or whisking. If you like the cake really moist you can spread ready mixture when it is hot. I do not like it moist, prefer the cake to be still a bit crunchy when you bite into it, so I usually let it cool and spread the cream right before dinner. You’ll have to experiment to see which way you like better. You can pre-bake the pastry and pre-make the cream a day or even two ahead. But I have to say it tastes better when fresh. If you like lemon or maybe even some other flavor you can add along with the vanilla.
The recipe could be doubled, tripled or even quadruple (my favorite one, really tall).

I use grated chocolate along with crushed trimmings of the baked layers to sprinkle on the top of the cake, you can use whip cream if you like.

P.S. Depending on how much frosting you like, which I don't, you can use more dough, use 2 packages of pastry dough. Also I like to bake an extra layer and then crush and use as the topping. Kind of sprinkle over the top layer of frosting.

Back
Top Bottom