Dessert Adhesive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bengal

Assistant Cook
I'm looking for suggestions on something to use for an adhesive in a dessert sculpture I'm planning, preferably something primarily transparent.

My basic concept is a marzipan "Katamari" with almonds and marzipan-sculpted debris stuck to it. For those unfamiliar with Katamary Damacy, it's basically just a lumpy sort of ball at the center, with all sorts of things stuck to it in what is generally considered to be a spheroid shape.

If no one has any ideas I'll have to experiment until I find something that works, and that'll be messy and time consuming.:rolleyes:

What about using gelatin sheets not fully dissolved? Or fully dissolving the sheets but only in a small amount of water and using it as a glaze over the lot to secure it in place? No idea if this will work, just a thought.

If you want something transparent find some isomalt sugar and , and I think you'd want to cook it to the hard ball stage. Isomalt takes on the same textural properties as normal sugar when cooked, but doesn't brown until 400-something degrees.

Isomalt would work if not for my worries about the intended recipient, who has a history of gastrointestinal frailty. That's actually how he came upon his fondness for almonds and marzipan. I was thinking maybe a glaze or something I could brush on to the elements I'm crafting, chiefly animals and objects out of marzipan and almonds.

It doesn't really NEED to be transparent, I just didn't want to use something completely opaque if I could avoid it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom