Dessert to go with chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mexican Fried Ice Cream

3 cups ice cream
2 beaten eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Vegetable oil (for deep-fat frying)
4 1/2 cups sweetened corn flakes, crushed

Place six scoops (about 1/2 cup each) of ice cream in a small pan. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm.

Combine eggs and vanilla extract in a small mixing bowl.

In a pie plate, combine cereal and cinnamon. Dip each frozen ball in egg mixture, then in cereal mixture. Return coated ice cream balls to pan and freeze 1 hour or until firm. Reserve remaining cereal mixture. Cover and chill remaining egg mixture.

Remove coated ice cream balls from the freezer. Dip balls in remaining egg mixture, then roll them in remaining cereal mixture. Return to pan. Cover and freeze for several hours or until firm.

Fry frozen ice cream balls, 1 or 2 at a time, in deep hot vegetable oil (375 degrees F) in a deep fat fryer or heavy saucepan for 15 seconds or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain for a few seconds. Return fried ice cream balls to the freezer while frying the remaining balls.

Serve immediately with vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream

Something fruity

I’m making chili tonight with the works. I wanted a homemade dessert as well and figured something fruity would go with this chili. So I decided to go with old fashioned peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream. I’m going comfort food all the way. Hope my suggestion helped.

Welcome to the forum, Shunny! Enjoy your makin's!

I rarely make desert with chili - I think we get so full, from all that meat, and tortillas, that there's no room left! :LOL:

Years ago I was watching a Bobby Flay episode and he had a guest home cook who made a dessert that he had when he was a kid ( not sure which country he was from, but it was somewhere in Central America ). Basically took a unpeeled banana, made a slit lengthwise along the top. opened if up some the fruit was exposed. Drizzled some sweetened condensed milk in the slit. Shook some cinnamon then wrapped the banana in foil and heated it up. I think in this episode they tossed it on the grill. I did the same, but heated it up in the oven. For me, it was such a simple, unique and good dessert. Not sure it pairs with chili or not, but it sure tasted good and was the first thing that came to mind ( not that chili is Central American , but just came to mind ).

I was watching Sorted on YouTube and one of the chefs said his family used to cut small slits in an unpeeled banana and insert candy chips. I assume chocolate chips or M&Ms.

With chili, I like anything cold. Peach cobbler and ice cream sounds perfect.

Though, I also agree. After a bowl or three of chili, there isn't any room for more. At least for a couple hours or so. Or maybe 20 minutes.

Chili is always an adventure.

Back
Top Bottom