"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 02-23-2005, 01:29 PM   #11
Master Chef

Glad you found it, GB! It's tough to track down.

Here's a site that explains the difference between Dutch Process and regular cocoa powder in case anyone wanted more details. In all honesty, I've actually used regular when Dutch is called for in a pinch. I know it effects the end result and probably can't be done with all recipes, but the things I made still turned out OK!
http://www.joyofbaking.com/cocoa.html

Old 02-23-2005, 02:11 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I wouldn't worry about getting Dutch process versus unsweetened when dealing with a recipe calling for Dutch. While the taste may be slightly different, there is no problem with substituting unsweetened for Dutched. By contrast, you should never substitute Dutched for unsweetened; in recipes that rely on baking soda, you may be removing the necessary acid required to activate the baking soda, which will lead to a flat cake. This is less of a problem when dealing with baking powder, as baking powder activates itself without outside help.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:02 PM   #13
Master Chef

GB,

Shoot. I just bought a cuople of boxes of the stuff (Droste) in NYC over the weekend. I would have sent some to you!

But they sell it at my Stop and Shop, too. Just not as good quality. Do you have a SUPER Stop and Shop nearby? Some of them are pretty amazing. Some aren't. I'm lucky my local one is fantastic.

Since cocoa is naturally acidic, dutching it (adding alkali) makes in neutral.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:15 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Hi,

I read with interest here this article. Dutch kakao powder is made in the Netherlands and is kakaopowder without sugar or milkpowder.

Sorry, but I canīs send you a box. I donīt think that it comes to you. Sorry. Here it cost only 0,49€

lg Tanja
Old 02-24-2005, 03:34 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks Guys!

Jenny I have 2 Super Stop and Shops close to my house, but neither are all that super. Well based on jasonr's advice I just got regular unsweetened Giradelli (sp?) powder and tried the recipe with that instead. I was making hot cocoa powder (Alton Browns recipe). well I am glad i didn't go through too much trouble because I am really not happy with the end product. I am going to try to tweak it to make it better, but so far I will be sticking with the premade stuff.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:43 PM   #16
Master Chef

Was it too bitter? Dutching helps make it less bitter, too.

Baking is where you really need to use it if the recipe calls for it. If you are baking and the recipe specifies dutched cocoa you need to use it or you will be adding too much acid to the batter.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:02 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

It was a little bit too bitter, but not so much that it was unpleasant. It was not chocolaty or sweet enough. It did not taste rich and full. Just sort of flat. I am going to add more sugar and more cocoa and see if that helps.

Tags
None