"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Your suggestions are all great - I've rather lost my hand with desserts in favour of weight loss, but I've found myself in difficulty on more that one occasion when friends come to dinner. I think that, once I've re-mastered the art of desserts, I'm going to do a Spanische Windtort, but what to you reckon to Crèpes Suzette to be going on with. I'm definitely going to do all your recipes, and see how I go. I do have a simple recipe that I fall back on and which my friends enjoy. It's pears in ginger syrup with ginger whipped cream and brandy snaps. That seems to go down well. I peel the pears and poach them in a sweet Moscato wine with lemon zest finely grated to taste, crystallised ginger to taste, and cane sugar. This is accompanied with whipped cream with crystallised ginger and sugar, with brandy snaps. It seems to go down well with our friends, but I don't really feel confident - I can't help thinking that there's something missing, so I'm taking your suggestions seriously, and thank you so much for sending them.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
Your suggestions are all great - I've rather lost my hand with desserts in favour of weight loss, but I've found myself in difficulty on more that one occasion when friends come to dinner. I think that, once I've re-mastered the art of desserts, I'm going to do a Spanische Windtort, but what to you reckon to Crèpes Suzette to be going on with. I'm definitely going to do all your recipes, and see how I go. I do have a simple recipe that I fall back on and which my friends enjoy. It's pears in ginger syrup with ginger whipped cream and brandy snaps. That seems to go down well. I peel the pears and poach them in a sweet Moscato wine with lemon zest finely grated to taste, crystallised ginger to taste, and cane sugar. This is accompanied with whipped cream with crystallised ginger and sugar, with brandy snaps. It seems to go down well with our friends, but I don't really feel confident - I can't help thinking that there's something missing, so I'm taking your suggestions seriously, and thank you so much for sending them.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
I think that is true with most people. I would keep it simple, maybe a small scoop of premium ice cream, a drizzle of liqueur and a couple of crisp cookies or a box of premium chocolates in the center of the table for people to pick at over coffee. Who needs the stress of making a killer dessert for a group of folks that would rather not be tempted!

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:32 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I’m not a fan of desserts, generally. But if you’d like something simple, decadent, and very pretty, here’s a recipe for chocolate cake tiramisu that I found to be delightful. If you don’t feel like making the cake, you can just buy some, for simplicity’s sake.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/reci...e-sabayon.html
Old 12-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #14
Certified Cake Maniac

At culinary school, we learned how to make many "elegant" desserts, including all the ones mentioned here. I rarely make desserts as neither TB nor I can have a lot of sugar, dairy or chocolate, and no gluten. I mainly make cakes but rarely for us as I decorate for others. I also make a lot of gluten-free items on the less sweet side such as carrot cake, zucchini loaf, pumpkin cake, etc.

For one of my catering gigs, I made 120 poached pears with pastry cream and chocolate sauce. I thankfully had a lot of help from our youth group plating and serving them!
Old 12-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
For me, I think along the lines more of decadence as opposed to elegant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	28594

A coupla Christmas/New Year's Eve ago
(thanks to the urging of fellow DCers)
I made 2, yes TWO Cheesecakes, my very first!
One was totally naked and this second one (above)
was my version of a Turtle Cheesecake with a gorgeous
Chocolate Ganache, Caramel and Pecan topping.
I took this cake next door to the neighbors New Year's Eve party,
and it was GONE!
(that was also my first crack at ganache btw )
Old 12-03-2017, 08:32 PM   #16
Executive Chef

ive made deconstructed Strawberry Shortcake as a parfait. Serve it in a nice stemmed glass could make it elegant.

Ive also done the same with pears and caramel and another with apples and caramel.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #17
Master Chef

I should add that Pavlova is predominantly egg whites with some sugar to make a meringue..then, top it with your favorite fruit..gf makes individual meringues and they can be made a day ahead and store well in the fridge so you don't have to gobble them all up in one sitting..

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dessert, desserts