"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 01-08-2005, 01:00 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Because I live in the strawberry capital of the world, I am always finding new ways to serve strawberries for dessert. One of my favorites is to make a basic yellow or a decadent chocolate cake in a tiara pan, fill the indentation with sliced strawbberries, and top it with frresh whipped cream.

Old 01-08-2005, 04:39 PM   #12
Executive Chef

[quote="DigitalAether"]OK, here is mine, its alot of work but it is worth it!

French Silk Pie

I just made this and it's chilling in the fridge. Looks very "silky", almost like a chocolate mousse. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 01-08-2005, 04:42 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Caine, I showed your pic to my daughter, who turned up her nose and stated that she doesn't like chocolate cake anymore.

This cannot be my child.

Wish I could get strawberries that looked that yummy. I've never heard of a tiara pan before? Easy to find?
Old 01-08-2005, 09:08 PM   #14
Master Chef

I can't possibly name a favorite desert. It depends on so many things, like the climate of the day, what it is served with, the mood I'm in, whether or not it can be made without sugar, etc.

Some favorites are ice cream: french vanilla, strawberry-cheesecake, maplenut, butter pecan, strawberry, and of course there has to be toppings such as apple pie filling, fresh strawberries, bluebrries, whipped cream, hot fudge, etc.

Cake: Must be light and super moist. Prefer a good yellow or devil's food cake, or a great carrot cake, with homemade buttercream or cream cheese icing.

Love quickbreads such as the famous Audio Bananna Bread, Spice bread, zuchini bread, etc.

But I think that fresh fruit, especially berries of all kinds with a bit of milk or cream and Splenda, or mellons such as cantaloupe, kasaba, watermellon, or honeydew make my absolute favorite deserts.

And I'm a sucker for pies of all kinds, and puddings, and jello, and cheese filled pastries. I used to love jelly-filled bismarcs (jelly-filled doughnuts for you Californians). And the sticky-buns they made it my grade school were insanely good (back in the 60's everything was made in the school kitchen by people who knew how to cook).

I want a new body, one that can eat anything and remain healthy and strong. This body I have is desert challenged. But I remember what those decadent sweets tasted like. And I can still eat the berries and melons. :D

Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:00 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

[quote="amber"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAether
OK, here is mine, its alot of work but it is worth it!

French Silk Pie

I just made this and it's chilling in the fridge. Looks very "silky", almost like a chocolate mousse. Thanks for the recipe.
:D Please let me know how it turns out and if you enjoyed it enough. The only time it didn't turn out right for me was when because I didn't beat each individual egg enough as I added it, it ended up being a little grainy from the sugar. If beaten well enough its a great pie IMHO. My father told me after trying a slice it was the richest thing he had ever eaten (he is 70 y.o.) , and when I brought a slice in to my supervisor who is a foodie he exclaimed that it was "stab an old man in the throat good"
Old 01-09-2005, 01:38 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Wish I could get strawberries that looked that yummy.
That is the benefit of having the farm, and the fruit stand, about 1/2 mile down the road. The farmers around here always keep the biggest and sweetest strawberies for their roadside stands. The less desireable ones go to the supermarkets, and the inferior ones go to the commercial packagers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
I've never heard of a tiara pan before? Easy to find?
Impossible to find now, from what I understand. They were designed by Ekco specifically for Duncan Hines, who came up with several different recipes using their cake mixes and the tiara pans. I have two of them, and have had them since the mid 80s, so they are pretty banged up, but they still work. The finished cake reminded me so much of a larger version of those individual "shortcake" cups that Hostess tries to pawn off on the public, that adding the strawberries and whipped cream was a no-brainer.

This is what the pan looks like, empty!

Because you asked, I did some Google research on the Tiara pans and found several of the old Duncan Hines recipes listed, as well as some creative ideas of others, so thanks, I just may try them when I run out of ideas of my own.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:58 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Caine, what city/state/town do you live in that you have such easy access to the strawberry's you describe?
Also, I have seen these pans many times in various thrift stores I've ventured into over many years and never knew their purpose. Wish now I'd have grabbed one of them as my memory tells me they were from 45¢-$1.99 in price. I've picked them up and looked at them and wondered, what on earth you do with these type pans. Now, I'm on a mission.

If I had to choose a desert that was my all time favorite, I am not sure I could have really done that. I know I put up the To Die For/Triple Chocolate Mess recipe, but seeing that I'm not that huge a desert person, I could name several that I'd love to have after a wonderful meal at a fabulous restaurant. I also love apple pie and cheesecakes. If I was in a virtual restaurant right now and someone came around with a desert cart, I wonder what I'd pick if anything. Like someone else said, depends on many variables.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:19 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover
Caine, what city/state/town do you live in that you have such easy access to the strawberry's you describe?
I live just outside Oxnard, California, the strawberry capital of the world. http://www.strawberry-fest.org/

Most people don't know this, but we get two crops of strawberries every year, so you can get fresh strawberries here all year around, but the best ones are the first crop, which they usually start picking in April.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:26 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Because I live in the strawberry capital of the world, I am always finding new ways to serve strawberries for dessert. One of my favorites is to make a basic yellow or a decadent chocolate cake in a tiara pan, fill the indentation with sliced strawbberries, and top it with frresh whipped cream.

My favorite today:

Apple Skillet Cake

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup pecans -- chopped
1 large egg -- slightly beaten
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 large apples -- peeled and sliced thin

Preheat oven to 350. Grease cast iron 10" skillet with shortening. Sift dry ingredients together, and mix all by hand. Dough will be stiff. Press into pan. Bake on top shelf of oven about an hour until it turns loose from sides. Test with toothpick in center for doneness.

Description:
"Lea Schwartz's recipe 1999"
Yield:
"10 slices"
Old 01-11-2005, 05:15 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Kitty! Good to hear from you! That recipe sounds yummy! I wonder what would happen if you did it like an upside down cake, and just layered the apples before you put the dough in the skillet?

Tags
None