"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 04-05-2008, 04:28 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Is there some reason people find the need to mess with a good thing? Thanks for the link, let's hope we make a difference.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #32
Senior Cook

I just can't get upset about it. Those chocolate morsels you use to make your chocolate chip cookies of course do the same thing; substituting vegetable oil for some of the cocoa butter is how they maintain their shape when they bake. I never heard anyone complain about classic Tollhouse cookies, or demand that they not be called "chocolate". In any event, in my opinion, as long as you have some cocoa butter and some cocoa solids, then by definition, you have chocolate.

In any event, the market for quality chocolate has exploded in the past 5-10 years. Not very long ago, if you wanted decent chocolate, you had to buy it mail order or go to a very few handful of specialty shops. Now I can buy Valhrona bars at my local drug store, right next to the Doritos and the canned pop.

I think Lindt was a real pioneer in this area, since they were the first ones to make fine chocolate mainstream like this.

Far from getting worse, the quality and quantity of good chocolate has just gotten better and better.

So people who want real chocolate will continue to use the good stuff. Even if you're on a budget and can't afford those brands, it's unlikely that even the low-end brands like Bakers are going to risk their market by using vegetable oil. Even the people I know who use Bakers would probably switch if they bastardized their product.

It seems to me, this will only affect the candy-bar market. But so what? The court of public taste will render a verdict. If the product still tastes good, people will buy it. If it doesn't taste good, then people will not buy it and the candy-bar companies will lose money. If I'm eating a Hershey bar (I love the Hershey with almonds!) then I'm not doing it to savour some deep sophisticated chocolate taste anyway; it's for a sweet childish treat.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Hello Jason,
Now when it comes to chocolate chips you are not going to find vegetable oil in any of them unless they do not say "chocolate" on them. They will say "chocolate flavored" or something close to that. Nestle Tollhouse cookies actually do not have vegetable oil in them. They are real chocolate. The reason "Real Chocolate" chip cookies hold their shape pretty well in baked goods is that they have less cocoa butter. Of course the cocoa butter is what melts so this makes the melting process slower and easier to hold its shape.

Have a good one everybody,

Tags
None